Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye to Creo scanners and Leaf backs...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Say goodbye to Creo scanners and Leaf backs...

Say goodbye to Creo scanners and Leaf backs. In another desperate old aged grab for digital relevance and market (somewhat like your Granny thinking she needs an iPod to be hip) Creo have just let themselves be taken over by Kodak.

Watch this space for their good digital products and software to be mangled and run into the ground by Kodak mismanagement and finally dumped in a few years time at a bargain basement price once eveything is beyond recovery...

How about a link to your source?

It might be worse than you think. They may just deep six the brand altogether. That being the reason for buying it. Why would they get back in the business of making backs again. They just got out. Unless their deal with Phase stated that the Kodak back had to go away and this is an end around. Who makes Leaf's chips now? That would be a clue.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&ncl=http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/050131/b013156.html

or just go to google news and put in Creo

Big bad Kodak is a much more efficient company. They are finally making money from digital, and they always made money and did a good job with professional imaging. I know a lot of people who still swear by (and not at) their DCS 520-760 cameras, and Kodak still supports them with the best software in the business. Their pro support puts Nikon and Canon to shame...

If anything, they make poor business decisions by giving TOO much to their customers, not like most companies who try to do it the other way around.

Frank,

Maybe the support puts Canon & Nikon to shame.....but the products don't. The replacement for the DCS760 was the 14N, soon to become the DCS Pro/N or Pro/C. This 14MP piece of rubbish has enough quality issues with it that Kodak should be providing superior support. Maybe now that they have a different chip maker on board, they can ditch the Pro/C / N and replace it with a camera that produces results worthy of a "professional" designation.

Anybody want to hold forth on the questions I raised in post 2?

Thanks for the links.

After reading the article I would not be surprised if digital backs had very little to do with this purchase. It seems Creo's other assets were more interesting to Kodak. These backs if they continue to exist will now surely have Kodak sensors in them. Maybe they already did. I don't know.

this 14MP piece of rubbish has enough quality issues with it...

Have you actually shot with either the Pro SLR/n or Pro SLR/c? I know several pros who are really happy with theirs--as are their agents and clients.

I shot several hundred archaeological/museum artefacts last year with the Kodaks DCS Pro 14n - or should I say three of them because that's how many times Kodak had to replace them with a new body.

Luckily they weren't mine, but the governments.

In addition there were problems with both the colour and with noise among other things.

By contrast, I borrowed a colleagues Olympus E1 for the times the Kodaks were in the shop.

Not the same size image file etc but like light and day in terms of colour, comparative lack of noise (especially at slower speeds, compared to the Kodaks) and reliability

The experience with the Kodak bodies reflects similar stories I've heard from other colleagues in our agency
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog