Thread: forgot to set shutter speed with strobes!

forgot to set shutter speed with strobes!

OOPS! I'm guessing we've all done something like this before.. I did a quick portrait session over the weekend and in my rush forget to set my shutter speed down to 125. I keep the lens stored at 400 F~5.6, the least used settings, and didn't notice even though I set the aperatures correctly. I was using strobes for the shots and stopping down to f~22 2/3 or so as per my meter readings. Since most of the light is put out in a very short amount of time, did I really lose almost 2 stops on the shots? The film used was TMax 400- should I push it and if so, by how much? If I can get some idea of a starting point, I'll probably develop a sheet or two to see and then do the rest based on the results. Any input is welcome!
    thanks
    Tim

Leaf shutters will sync with electronic flash at all speeds. If you wanted to get any exposure from ambient, you're in trouble. Otherwise, you should be fine.

If your camera has a focal plane shutter, you're cooked.

You mention sheet film, so I guess you used a view camera with a leaf shutter. If so, why would you ever use a slow shutter speed with electronic flash?

Please tell us more.

As Dan said, leaf shutters sync at all speeds, so the shutter speed usually affects only the ambient contribution to the total exposure, because the duration of the light pulse from the strobe is usually much shorter than the shutter speed. As such, your exposure is probably OK.

Some studio strobes, however, have somewhat longer flash durations - sometimes around 1/300 sec or so. Thus, a faster shutter speed might attenuate some of the strobe's output. I'd suggest checking the manual on your strobes to determine their flash duration, and then proceed accordingly.

yes, I was shooting TMax 400 in 4 x 5 sheets, with 210mm Caltar IIN. There was a fair amount of sunlight in the room, but the main light was to come from the strobes. The strobes in question are is an ancient Calumet system from the early or mid 80s that I bought for next to nothing. They work pretty well, but have limited controls and not only do I not have a manual but it would probably take quite a bit of digging to find one online if it's even possible. Makes sense that the ambient light would be more of an issue. Sounds like I should just go with 2 sheets normal and see what happens. thanks for the suggestions.
    tim