Thread: Emmet Gowin at Morgan Library NYC

Emmet Gowin at Morgan Library NYC

I was at the Emmet Gowin exhibition at the Morgan yesterday, and recommend it to those who can get to NYC. The exhibit is particularly interesting in that Mr. Gowin paired his photographs with other objects from the Morgan collection, so there is more going on than just photography (i.e. the logic of what he pairs with photographs is as interesting as the photographs themselves). I was especially taken by the comments explaining the work, Gowin has more "intentionality" to his photography than most. He is, expectedly for someone who taught at Princeton University for over 30 years, very articulate in explaining why he made certain pictures, and why some are constructed (double exposures or the use of props, for example) in the way they are. And the Morgan is an amazing place on its own (not many places where you can see a Gutenberg Bible, Beethoven's hand-written scores, and sketches by Rembrandt, to name three). Here is a review from the NYT for those interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/ar...n-library.html

Re: Emmet Gowin at Morgan Library NYC

Emmet is a wonderful photographer he stayed at the house about 25-30 years ago and recently had a show and lecture at the New Orleans Museum of Art. Go see the exhibit.

Gowin has a show opening at the Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City on July 1: http://www.nelson-atkins.org/art/exh...mmet-gowin.cfm

A litte hard to tell how big the show is but Gowin will be there in October to speak so it can't be that small. Plus its a great museum. I'll be there in a few days, going cross-country, museum hoping.

--Darin

Darin have a great trip; nothing like seeing the real work with your own eyes.
    Best,peter

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    I was at the Emmet Gowin exhibition at the Morgan yesterday, and recommend it to those who can get to NYC. The exhibit is particularly interesting in that Mr. Gowin paired his photographs with other objects from the Morgan collection, so there is more going on than just photography (i.e. the logic of what he pairs with photographs is as interesting as the photographs themselves). I was especially taken by the comments explaining the work, Gowin has more "intentionality" to his photography than most. He is, expectedly for someone who taught at Princeton University for over 30 years, very articulate in explaining why he made certain pictures, and why some are constructed (double exposures or the use of props, for example) in the way they are. And the Morgan is an amazing place on its own (not many places where you can see a Gutenberg Bible, Beethoven's hand-written scores, and sketches by Rembrandt, to name three). Here is a review from the NYT for those interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/ar...n-library.html
    Thanks for calling attention to this Peter.