Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sequoia NP Outing

Sequoia NP Outing

Good day to all, my wife will be out of town over the July 25th weekend. I know it's a bit short notice, but if anyone has an interest in joining me and potentially Tim Scott (ScottPhoto) for a weekend of photos and camping please feel free to come along. I am in the process of looking for a campground location but if anyone has a suggestion on where to go please let me know and I'll make the reservations.

I had a great time out with everyone in Lone Pine and would enjoy another outing like that again. Thanks for your time and I hope to see some folks out in the mountains.

R/
    Dave

Re: Sequoia NP Outing

What sort of scenery are you looking for and what kind of vehicle will you be driving?
    Mineral King is the bomb when it comes to Sequoia NP but getting there isn't for car-sick prone passengers. OTOH there always seem to be campsites and no crowds.
    I'll wave to you from Fresno
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What sort of scenery are you looking for and what kind of vehicle will you be driving?
    Mineral King is the bomb when it comes to Sequoia NP but getting there isn't for car-sick prone passengers. OTOH there always seem to be campsites and no crowds.
    I'll wave to you from Fresno
    Thanks for sharing John. Having never been to the area outside of passing through in summer 2012, I don't have an idea of what type of scenery to expect to photograph. If you have insights and locations of where to go that would be helpful. As for my vehicle, I have a Jeep. Getting around would not be difficult. If you are able to join, please come even if it's just for an evening.

R/
    Dave

Beverly Hills, California

Dave, I would love to join you, but I will probably be on an adventure to Canada, Maine and Upstate NY.

On our May trip to lone pine that Sunday a.m. I did some exploring heading driving 18 miles south along horseshoe Meadow Road (same road as our Tuttle creek camp ground). This awesome drive climbed up 10,000 feet to Last Chance Meadow Research Area which is a starting point for the awesome horseshoe meadow, and hike to cottonwood lake.

You might consider re-using the scenic and convenient Tuttle Creek Campground as a base to explore these hiking and photo opportunities via the Last Chance Meadow Research Natural Area parking lot at the end of Horseshoe Meadow Road.

I love Sequoia Park and have spent a fair amount of time there. I once spent a month on a solo hike over some mountains and across the park. Of course I wasn't hauling my 11x14 B&J, film holders and tripod. For a quick weekend trip I also like Mineral King. It is one of the few locations where you can drive up into the heart of the mountains. Sure the 20 mile road to get there is brutal but its absolutely worth the trouble. And there are at least two very nice semi-primitive campsites at the middle and top of the road. Cabins to rent as well. You have the biggest of trees and lush alpine meadows and of course the towering peaks. Did I mention that the flowers should all be in bloom in late July? I'm in.

Drew Wiley

Always check immediately in advance with the .gov SEKI (Sequoia-Kings) updates, specifically with respect to forest fires. This will be a bad summer for 'em, they
    can happen fast, and even those a considerable distance away can smoke up the hills pretty badly. That Mineral King road is really really really awful. Stay away
    from there, or at a minimum, don't publicize the place. Terrible mosquitos too, along with carnivorous deer and sasquatches on drunken rampages.

This is all true and you should mention that the rangers are rude and the marmots are particularly ill-tempered.

Drew Wiley

Oh those marmot stories! Another reason never to go there. They are remarkable animals in the sense that they are very difficult to poison. They chew on radiator hoses and swallow PEG, but seemingly aren't affected. Allegedly rattlesnake bites don't do much to them either. Maybe the park personnel are secretly shooting them when nobody is watching, but I haven't seen any of those infamous marmots at the trailheads at all, and the rangers told me they haven't been a
    problem in a long time. But the hypothesis is that they miss certain minerals when everything is still mostly covered with snow, and are desperate right after the Spring thaw, so that is when they are most likely to try supplementing their diet with gnawable auto components. Mice do that too; but it's ordinarily fatal to them. The geology up there is unusual for the Sierra - a very complex blend of roof pendant metamorphics with the usual granite, much like Convict Canyon in that respect, but scenically very different. There are many pleasant views on the way up too, if one is not rushed and can tolerate the heat of the lower canyons.
    It's the Anti-Yosemite experience - no crowds and friendly rangers.

Just wanted to do a quick update. I've been talking with a few folks interested in meeting up over emails. As it looks now, we'll be meeting up at Cold Springs campground in the Mineral King area. I'll be there either evening Thursday or very early morning Friday to secure a campsite. Andre, thank you for suggesting the Meadow Rd area on the Lone Pine side. I will keep it in mind for the fall. Sorry you can't make this trip but I hope you enjoy your time back east. Drew and Matt, thanks for your entertaining conversation and suggestions as well. As it stands, Tim +1, Randy, Dan, Matt and I are heading up that way. We'd enjoy seeing more if you're free to come.

R/
    Dave

Looking forward to this! I will learn to make a landscape photo that I am happy with yet! Well, someday hopefully.

Both of our cars are not that back woods friendly (Audi and Nissan), are we going to have issues getting there?