Thread: Cambo Master PC

Cambo Master PC

Good morning all. I am still looking for a studio view camera and am wondering about the Cambo/Calumet Master PC. Does anyone have any experience this camera, especially with the Master PC? I found very little in site internet searches.

Thanks,

Cindy

Octogenarian

Cambo Master PC

Here we go again.

Cindy, didn't you promise to let us know the camera you had decided on, a few months ago?

The Cambo Master PC is a darn good monorail studio camera. It has a fine reputation. Calumet manufactures them in the Netherlands and stands behind them 100%. If you can get a deal on a camera that fits your budget, buy it already!

No one else can decide which camera is the best one for you. Every camera has it's good points and it's not so good points. After using it for a while, you may decide it is not the tool you want to work with. The beauty of large format is that there is always someone who is willing to take your equipment off of your hands. There is no such thing as the perfect camera for everybody. However, you need to start somewhere.

Cambo Master PC

Eugene, I bought a Crown Graphic 4 months ago and have been shooting with it ever since. I have an Optar 135 that came with it, and since bought a Schneider 90mm 6.8. I am now looking for a view camera to do a product project in a studio that I've recently moved into. I was looking for some information by posting here.

Cambo Master PC

cindy...

with all due respect, when you said, "I am still looking for a studio view camera..." one would take it as an indication that you had yet to move on making a purchase. eugene was simply trying to encourage you along by saying that the only way to really learn which is the right camera for you is to just jump on in. i am personally on my third camera - the two i've gone through many would cite as ideal for ho i shoot, however, they just didn't work for me. thankfully, there is a very healthy market for used gear out there. if you buy from a good dealer like jim at midwest, testing the waters will not be all that costly.

good luck,
    scott

Cambo Master PC

The May/June 1991 issue of View Camera magazine has a user's report on the Cambo Master PC. You used to be able to buy back issues of the magazine or get copies of particular articles from back issues, I don't know whether this is still possible or not. If not maybe your local library has the issue. It isn't a very long article and probably isn't worth going to a whole lot of trouble or expense and if you're really desperate to see it and can't find it any other way, send me an e mail message and I'll copy it for you. In the subject line of the message say something reminding me of this message so I don't delete it as junk mail.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Cambo Master PC

Thanks for letting me know, Brian. I am looking for the issue at the libraries and, if I can't find it, I'll be in touch.

Cambo Master PC

I bought a camera a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised as a Cambo Legend but according to what I've seen on the internet it's the Cambo Master that has the L shaped standarts that my Cambo has (only one arm on the right holding the front and one for the back) . I am new to LF and this Cambo Master is my first LF camera so I don't have much to compare with but I like it so far. If you have any question that a dummy like me can find the answer to by just looking at/using the camera, I'd be happy to assist.

To start with I have a question: What does "PC" in the name indicate? Has it to do with base/axial tilt? Mine has both but only the axial tilt is geared.

Cheers,

Richard

Re: Cambo Master PC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The May/June 1991 issue of View Camera magazine has a user's report on the Cambo Master PC. You used to be able to buy back issues of the magazine or get copies of particular articles from back issues, I don't know whether this is still possible or not. If not maybe your local library has the issue. It isn't a very long article and probably isn't worth going to a whole lot of trouble or expense and if you're really desperate to see it and can't find it any other way, send me an e mail message and I'll copy it for you. In the subject line of the message say something reminding me of this message so I don't delete it as junk mail.

Re: Cambo Master PC

Hi Brian
    Could you send me a copy an article of Cambo Master PC? or another but close to Cambo.
    Thank you very much.
    zbytek