Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I home process?

Should I home process?

Should I home process?

If you do a LOT of E6, it can be cost-effective to do your own. I don't because at the frequency I shoot, the chemistry would have to sit around too long. However, as someone else said, monochrome is a no-brainer, especially if you are calibrating your own development times., as in zone system processing Remember that anything different from what the lab does normally is custom work and you will PAY for it. You can do b&w in trays, tanks, whatever, but I bought a second-hand Jobo for a couple of hundred bucks and LOVE it.

Should I home process?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this - some very informative and comprehensive answers as ever.

From reading the feedback I've decided to start with monochrome negative processing as the process appears less stringent than E6.

One last question though, using the daylight process tank offerings from Jobo and the like, would it be possible to load the sheets in say a small changing bag (used for loading film holders) so that I don't need to set up a darkroom as such?

Thanks

Should I home process?

Yes, a changing bag is the way to go.

Should I home process?

Julian,

I got my Jobo because I was "between darkrooms", so to speak. I used to develop in trays but that was just too much hassle to put up and take down every time, without a proper darkroom. Now, I put the Jobo on a large piece of plywood that fits over about 3/4 of my tub. I load the tank in either a darkbag (a BIG one) or a closet. If you get a Jobo, get one with the lift. You can find used ones for not too much money on ebay.

Should I home process?

Julian,

In answer to your question about using a small changing bag.... In the Jobo world it depends on which tank you use. I have a CPP2 and highly recommend the expert drum for the uniform processing. They are larger and most likely would not work in a changing bag, a changing tent maybe. IMHO pick a room to lightproof and use it to load the tanks and save yourself greif and sweatty hands..

I also wanted to add that the Jobe system with expert drums develops negs extremely evenly and this is due in part to the constant rotational speed and constant temperature the chemicals and the drum are kept at.