If my personal experience is common around here, there must be a sizeable group of day-hikers (and overnight hikers) whose LF gear + hiking gear fall into the "ultraheavy" category, not the ultralight one.

Yes, just my my Ries J-600 tripod and J-250 head qualify me as a proud ultraheavy hiker.

I've never felt unduly constrained by this so-called "disadvantage," but maybe I would if I were much older, or much less healthy ... or much more wealthy.

To better travel over hill and dale, through branch and bramble, across creek and stream, my principal strategy is to leave unnecessary things behind. Simple. Effective. Affordable.

For example, no battery driven communication or navigation devices for me. (Traditional map and compass are fine.)

I could start a long list of items abandoned to the closet, quickly adding up to lost weight, but I'd enjoy hearing about your personal experience and long-held secrets.

We've all heard about the "10 essentials" list – but what might you add to the "no need to take" list? I mean both LF and hiking gear.

And when does it depend on the nature of your hike, the weather conditions, your image making goals, or an honest evaluation of your personal abilities?