Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IATA new standard for the carry on bags

IATA new standard for the carry on bags

So the recent news have IATA to set new standard for carry on bags as 55cmX35cmX20cm.

I for one hate this move, I have elite status with UA, so check-in my bag is not a problem for me. However, when I travel with cameras, I really don't want to put them in check-in bags due to possible theft or damage.

What's your opinion?

Re: IATA new standard for the carry on bags

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    So the recent news have IATA to set new standard for carry on bags as 55cmX35cmX20cm.

I for one hate this move, I have elite status with UA, so check-in my bag is not a problem for me. However, when I travel with cameras, I really don't want to put them in check-in bags due to possible theft or damage.

What's your opinion?
    you are carrying too much gear, or if you shoot 8X10 with which you travel, invest in a good air case.

Reading all the news can also be good:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/up...abt=0002&abg=0

...What's your opinion?
    My opinion is that commercial air travel is an obnoxious, dehumanizing experience to be avoided at almost any possible cost. It was headed in that direction before 9-11-2001 and took the final step soon after. If one cannot escape this mess, the only photographic equipment even worth consideration is small, expendable and digital. A large format sheet film system deserves more respect than to be run through this gauntlet.

Recently, I capitulated to undertaking a trip from Los Angeles to Adelaide, Sydney and Fiordland National Park with my wife. The cost of refusing (divorce? ) was greater than I wanted to pay. Although US carry-on size limits applied to the international segments, there was one domestic-only leg (Adelaide to Sydney) where Virgin Australia's maximum dimensions, which already reflect the new IATA standard, were in force. My wife tried every possible approach to get around that, but couldn't. Unwilling to purchase yet another set of luggage, which would have not been much larger anyway, we were stuck carrying on only the smaller half of our usual cabin bags, loading checked luggage right up to the maximum 50 lb. per bag limit. It was a real nuisance.

All this sunny commentary from someone who's a retiree of the United States' airliner manufacturer. I think even my wife has now seen the light, i.e. if one can't drive somewhere, don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I think even my wife has now seen the light, i.e. if one can't drive somewhere, don't go.
    It's called Amtrak...

I'm with Sal on this one, I've grown to despise air travel.
    What I've found, surprisingly, is that I really love a road trip, be it anywhere; I say surprising because I'd assumed that as I got older, I'd just want to get there as quickly as possible.
    But the longer, slower route is the one I now prefer.

This is scary, and upsetting, in a financial way, if they implement this, I will have to buy multiple new bags for my travel system, new expensive pelican cases that now won't fit my camera gear as well as new luggage, at least $800 invested in specific Cary-On sizes that now don't qualify... This is bogus!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This is scary, and upsetting, in a financial way, if they implement this, I will have to buy multiple new bags for my travel system, new expensive pelican cases that now won't fit my camera gear as well as new luggage, at least $800 invested in specific Cary-On sizes that now don't qualify... This is bogus!
    you have nothing to worry about, read the link i posted above.
    If you travel and shoot LF, 800$ is small money. Be prepared to spend that anyways when the cases break/lost/not work/all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I think even my wife has now seen the light, i.e. if one can't drive somewhere, don't go.
    Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    It's called Amtrak...
    Not Amtrak. In Sal's case, an Amphicar.

What's your opinion?
    It sucks. Big time.

Well you don't have to worry about it if the airline has a larger baggage allowance. Some airlines have already adopted the small size. I am traveling to Italy in July with my Graflex SLR on Emirates. They have adopted the smaller size carry-on. My pilots case that i use to carry this camera and accessories is bigger. The camera controls the dimension of the case so checking accessories won't help. The problem is the 8" thickness limit. And Emirates doesn't allow a second smaller bag in cabin according to their website. I will probably go with a backpack and hand hold the camera if they give me a problem. The pilots case I have is not collapsible. A backpack can be compressed to fit in a test slot.

I also traveled to Paris recently and they weighed my backpack. This is becoming more common and that can be a problem with photo gear even if your case is the right size. Especially if you take a computer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    you have nothing to worry about, read the link i posted above.
    If you travel and shoot LF, 800$ is small money. Be prepared to spend that anyways when the cases break/lost/not work/all of the above.