Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

Re: galaxy-paper direct positive

Oh.

I don't see the chemical kit being included for the pledge price. I have no idea what the "reversal process" chemicals entail. If there's another bunch of chemicals to buy just to do this...hmm...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

They are not doing themselves any favours by calling it a direct positive paper, it is simply (!) a very fast paper which they suggest will be optimised in some way for reversal processing. Calling it one thing and then back-tracking to explain what it really is - but continuing to call it by the misleading term - doesn't inspire confidence. Not in me anyway.

Processing paper as reversal requires the same steps as a film reversal:
    1st developer
    Bleach
    Clearing bath
    Fogging exposure (either as exposure to artificial light OR using a chemical fogging agent)
    2nd developer
    Fix (sometimes seen as optional)

(Rather simplified, usually one needs some washes between steps too)

They haven't disclosed the composition of their bleach , but normally, a silver bleach for reversal uses Sulfuric acid (or Sodium bisulfate) and either Potassium dichromate or Potassium permanganate. This is why they won't be shipping their own bleach mix overseas - too many hazmat issues. I'd be extremely surprised if they opt for dichromate as it is truly nasty stuff if mishandled and improperly disposed of.

As well as this, they've stated that no fogging exposure using light is needed, which suggests that they will be using a chemical fogging agent (similar to those used in E6), which means an extra bath step in the process and probably an additional wash step.

Some of the well-known fogging agents aren't very nice in terms of toxicity/environmental impact, but they haven't disclosed any more detail on this yet.

Re: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

I have edited the thread title to better reflect the character of the product.

It would be nice if there were also metric measurements: 4x5inch is not equal to 9x12cm, 5x7inch is not equal to 13x18cm, etc .. 18x24cm would also be nice.

Stefan.

Well, do you mind letting us know if the pledge will include the chemicals needed to develop the sheets? It doesn't seem like it will. I see you have chemicals as a separate pledge. You can only pledge for one thing.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    They are not doing themselves any favours by calling it a direct positive paper, it is simply (!) a very fast paper which they suggest will be optimised in some way for reversal processing. Calling it one thing and then back-tracking to explain what it really is - but continuing to call it by the misleading term - doesn't inspire confidence. Not in me anyway.
    +1. The framing of the Kickstarter campaign is seriously misleading.

From their spiel:

Later, as we had a bunch of photographers on board, but no chemist, we found a production and research partner. By that time a lot of production moguls such as Kodak, Fuji, AGFA and Forte were gone. We had three choices among the remaining companies: Harmon Technology, ltd., Foma Bohemia, ltd., and Slavich, Co. At that time, and now again, Harmon had their own direct positive paper and we assumed that they wouldn't be eager to help create what could be seen as a competing product.

This is egregious. Ilford papers can be reversal-processed, too. Galaxy is competing with those. OTOH, Harman Direct Positive Paper - the genuine article - can be processed simply in standard paper developers, as part of a standard develop/stop/fix/wash processing sequence. Unlike the Galaxy paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy Photo Paper View Post
    Hi Stefan,
    thank you so much for the input! What kind of holders do you use?
    I use 4x5, 13x18, 18x24 and 8x10.

Stefan

I really wish they'd stop referring to it as "Direct Positive" paper. It's not. To continue to call it that is disingenuous at best and an outright fabrication at worst.

I can't see backing this project unless they can be considerably more clear about what the paper is, and what is required for its use. Personally, I'd like to see this project yanked from Kickstarter until they can be more upfront about what it is they're making.

Galaxy Photo Paper... kickstarter

Hopefully, this will take off, succeed and provide LF shooters with another paper source!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ve-photo-paper

Cheers.
    Life in the fast lane!

Threads merged.