Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    multiplex

Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

moderators please move this if it is not in the right place, not sure where it is supposed to go ...

i just got an email fro galaxy-paper.com, a hopeful new player in the photo paper niche ..
    they are hoping to start a kick starter project very soon to help fund a
    new high speed direct positive photo paper

http://galaxy-paper.com

john

Re: galaxy-paper direct positive

Interesting project.

I'm going to put this in the Kickstarter section for now, since that's where they seem to be heading soon.

multiplex

thanks oren !

- john

I would like to see a paper made expressly for paper negatives. The problem with DP paper is that the image is a mirror image, laterally reversed. I don't quite know why this bugs me so much but it does. I've thought of introducing a 45 degree first surface mirror into the light path to flip the image right way around for DP paper but that sounds like more design work. An extra fast paper with good tonal range and not too contrasty that could be handled under safelight would be sure be a killer product though. I'll watch this carefully, even if I have to build that handheld 45 degree mirror 4X5 box camera.

multiplex

hi plywood
    i use coffee developer and expired paper, and never have problems with excessive contrast.
    i've also gotten in the habit of not photographing with paper in excessively contrasty situations
    overcast, even light i like not direct bright sun ... some use a yellow filter to cut the contrast ..
    i've found expired paper works the best, it has built in contrast reduction.

ymmv

This new Galaxy paper sounds very interesting. Graded contrasts, RC substrate for quick rinse and dry for street-style portraits (convenient for use with Instant Box Cameras) and speeds much faster than conventional papers. If it delivers all it promises, my Instant Box Camera project will see a major upgrade, as I could then create one-of-a-kind direct positives much quicker than the current method of re-photographing a paper negative.

I do also enjoy Harman DPP, but it's a slow emulsion, fixed high contrast grade and, being fiber paper, means it's not easily suited for street portraits, given the extended rinse and dry times required.

I could, however, see using both types of paper, for different purposes. HDPP is especially well-suited for portraits under controlled light in a studio+darkroom setting, whereas this Galaxy paper promises to perhaps even revive street portrait photography (using a camera + darkroom device like what I call my Instant Box Camera).

Exciting times ahead.

~Joe
    The photograph and the thing being photographed are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy Photo Paper View Post
    Dear friends!
    We would like to thank all of you for your support! That’s amazing what the internet can do uniting people from all over the world
    Our Kickstarter campaign is getting approved at the moment (it may take about a week). And as soon as we get a green light we’ll launch it.

Speaking of the paper, its speed is definitely the highest one ever, about 280-320 paper ISO (corresponds to negative film ISO 32-64). This is not a direct positive paper, it’s a reversal process. But the chemicals are well known among photographers. However, we are planning to produce our own line of pre-mixed chemicals to make a lab work easier. We tweaked the process with intention to make it more user-friendly. Now you don’t need to flash expose the image second time and development is performed with the room-temperature solutions.
    I'll be looking for your KS launch. I have a question. Will this paper also be able to be processed as a negative?
    Another question. Will the 4X5 size fit directly into 4X5 film holders, or will it have to be trimmed slightly? I have found that standard 4X5 holders take paper that is about 3.9in. X 4.9in., It would be much easier not to have to trim 3/32 off of each side.

Hello, plywood! Yes, it is possible to use this paper as a negative. However, a very high speed will not work good with standard enlargers.
    Also thank you so much for your input regarding the size. We really appreciate it because we want to make it as good as possible. We are gathering information to make it work for everyone. What camera do you use? And what kind of paper holder? Do you know if this is the case for all such cameras?
    You are right, paper negatives are not practical with standard 'transmission' enlargers. Paper negatives are either contact printed emulsion to emulsion or enlarged with a 'reflection' enlarger. (Reflection enlargers are usually home made items) When I say standard 4X5 film holders I'm talking about brands such as Riteway and Fidelity (still available new) brand holders. They are plentiful and inexpensive on the used market. I have both brands and they both take the same film (or paper) size, that is, 3.9X4.9 inches or right at 99X125mm. There may be some exceptions but I would think that most 4X5 double dark slide film holders take the same size.

As to what camera I use, well there a many cameras taking these standard holders, too many to list. Many large format shooters build their own cameras, from simple pinhole box cameras to finely crafted creations.

As to 5X7 and 8X10 film holders, I have no experience with those larger sizes but I'm sure there are many on this forum that could advise you.

Hello Galaxy;
    Any good word on your Kickstarter application? It's been a couple of weeks since you said it was submitted.

Hello, Plywood. We were waiting for some new photo/ chemicals tests to show unmatchable capabilities of our paper. Today we've got new pinhole photos with our paper. We are adding them on our social media pages.
    So Kicksrater campaign is launching in a few days.
    Thanks so much, looking forward to it.