Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bright viewing through a 65mm F8 lens?

How bright viewing through a 65mm F8 lens?

I have a 65mm f8 Super Angulon, it needs a service (sticks on B), it's lens board needs plate fixed across the existing copal 0 hole then drilling for a 00 shutter and I still need to source an adapter to get my cable release into the recessed board. I've tried 2 L shaped ones, but they are too big. Before I do all this I want to get a feel for how dark viewing the image will be on a bright day. I use a Toyo 45A, this uses a fresnel screen. If anyone uses this lens on 4x5, how bright would it be compared to viewing through a 90mm f8 Super Angulon? I've been told it will be too dark to focus, is this true?

No, it's not too dark to focus. It can be hard to see the corners, but you can manage. Ideally, you want a good darkcloth and you want to let your eyes adjust after you've closed off any light leaks, and a tilting loupe can help with any wide lens, but I've managed to focus it even with a folding hood.

Shouldn't be too dark to focus but unless you have a wide angle Fresnel you'll likely not see a lot of the image at one time. Fresnels are best used straight on so even moving around may not help. I'm basing this on my experience with the Fresnel on an Ebony camera and a 90mm F5.6 Super Angulon, not on experience with your camera and lens, so I could be wrong.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I use a 65/8 Ilex Acugon -- same style of lens as the SA -- on a 2x3 Speed Graphic. Focus on the gg with no trouble.

About connecting a cable release. Gepe makes a very flexible ~ 3" extension that I think will do what you want. I got one from MPEX, looked recently on their abortion of a new web site and couldn't find it. Try B&H too.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

No problem w/ a decent darkcloth. It would be interesting without one.

I use a Super Angulon 65/8 with and without a dark cloth. Without a dark cloth it is diffciult to see the whole screen but normally the centre can be seen and the edges a bit at a time.

It can be a little dim in overcast light. I've found a centre filter a must with this lens - fall off at the corners is sometimes nice, but with a filter its so even. However the filter goes on after focusing - it's far too dim to look through with it on. Also a tube focusing cloth works well.

I use the 65mm f/8 S.A. on a Toyo D45M with a bag bellows. It's not too hard to focus in reasonable light levels, but ANY f/8 lens is going to be tough when it starts getting dark! A fresnel is, IMO, a must with this lens.

One other thing that I find helps a lot is to use the rubber monocular magnifying hood instead of a focusing cloth. I also have to reposition the monorail mount so that the standards are both on the same side of the mount, else I don't get infinity.

The reason that wide angle of 65mm gives a low light on the screen particularly at the corners is a matter of phyisics.
    It is an unavoidable trade off that has to be suffered when using the wides. The Fresnel / Boss screens may help just a wee bit, but IMHO does not justify the additional expense.
    Probably the most improvement is had from the Beattie Screen, made by a firm in Northampton UK. But, even the Beattie screen is a compromise. It just lowers the overall contrast of the image on the gg to give the effect of increased brightness. Good luck. Stan. L-B

Stan,

A German company, Fresnel Optics, owns Beattie - and has owned them since Tony Fox sold the company several years ago. Fresnel Optics is part of the Reflexite group.