Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burke and James Commerical View 8x10

Burke and James Commerical View 8x10

This may seem like kind of a strange question, but are there any B&J 8x10 owners out there who could post detailed pictures of what the Commercial View rails look like? I managed to pick one up for pretty cheap, only it doesn't have the rail that supports both standards. Luckily have access to a woodshop and was hoping to fabricate some myself.

Thanks

Re: Burke and James Commerical View 8x10

The B&J Commercial View is a flat bed wooden field camera. No "rails". If you need a rail, it's not a Commercial View. If you need the frame, front or rear, that's different. Be more specific and maybe post a pic of what you've got.

Try this catalog, http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/bj_2.html , there is a decent picture of the 8x10. There is also a later catalog, 1967, that has a picture. I think the hard part will be the metal rails which have the gear rack built into them. My girl friend has a 5x7 Commercial View, but I'm out of town through the 21st so I can't post pictures. I'm not sure, but imagine the rails on the 8x10 are the same or similar. Hopefully some can post some good pictures of the 8x10 rails and bed.

Pictures of you camera wouldn't hurt either.

Roger

I do have a Burke and James 8x10 commercial view. I also have an 11x14. Both are painted in the deluxe battleship gray color. I think you need a picture of the base or bed of the camera. The only difference between the bases of the two cameras is that the 11x14 has a longer base -- they are inter-changable. I also have the sliding tripod blocks which seem to add significant instability to the cameras for little benefit. I will take the photos and post them for you tomorrow. I will be very interested to see what you might come up with. On my cameras this is a very heavy piece. I can imagine that one could come up with a much lighter weight solution that would not suffer in the rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Amfooty View Post
    This may seem like kind of a strange question, but are there any B&J 8x10 owners out there who could post detailed pictures of what the Commercial View rails look like? I managed to pick one up for pretty cheap, only it doesn't have the rail that supports both standards. Luckily have access to a woodshop and was hoping to fabricate some myself.

Thanks
    A Google image search of "Burke and James Commercial View 8x10" will yield lots of photos of said item.

Perhaps the OP has a Grover or some other unscheduled type. Picture from this site.

Measure the width of the rail. If you are lucky, it is an ordinary standard American size. I source such material from a very well stocked farm supply store. Hollow steel and aluminum rails are common. If it is not standard US, then sorry. No idea.

Amfooty; In camera talk, "rail" is generally "single metal pipe" like the B&J Grover. Two metal tracks connected by wood are rail in transportation talk, but would most often be called a bed in camera talk.

I have a commercial view 8x10; it looks like a field camera but doesn't fold up quite as compact as better field cameras do.

The aluminum track material is what you're going to be after. Something close is probably available. If it ends up not being available, an extension piece could be bought if you are patient, and then sacrificed for the track.

As an example, here is a B&J catalog page showing the Grover monorail camera:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bj_1_11.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	135250

and here is a shot of my B&J 8x10 Grover monorail camera:

Name:	20140323_8809.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	135251

I have one like this..

Name:	bj1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	135253

the frame you can make..the metal geared part will be tough

This photograph of a 5x7 Commercial View shows the metal rail fairly well. I'd start looking for donor extension bed.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg