Thread: Replacing Scanner Glass - Epson v700

Replacing Scanner Glass - Epson v700

Does anyone have any information, links, or details on changing out the glass (bottom above the sensor) on an Epson v700? I am planning on buying one, but it has minor (about 1/3 of a dime) scratch on it in the bottom corner. It might not affect my images (35mm, 120, 4x5), but in the event it does I would like to know if this is something I could feasibly do myself? I am pretty handy.

Also, in case you know, if using the betterscanning film holder for LF can I scan two 4x5 negatives at a time? It seems as if it comes with a few blank/uncut light masks, thus I assume we cut out sections for 4x5 negs or just put the negs on the glass with some ANR glass on top? Thus, even then I might be able to position the negatives in a way that are away from the scratch.

Just trying to make sure I have some various options, before buying something and then always PS'ing out a scratch. Not worth the savings in the long run.

I also read about some people suggesting Brasso or Silvo metal polish and trying it on the glass.

Thanks for any advice on changing the glass out and scanning 4x5 with betterscanning.com holders.

Re: Replacing Scanner Glass - Epson v700

Johnathon,

Ken (Ken Lee) is currently working on cleaning his glass and maybe the best person to ask how easy it is to separate the glass. I would imagine that you can always get a high-quality custom glass but what you should consider what it would cost to get the right size glass. Also as FYI, I got mine refurbished from Epson for less than $450 shipped and it has worked perfectly since arrival. If you are getting a great deal, you should go for it especially if you believe that you can place the negatives outside of the scratch range.

Here is the thread that Ken mentioned he is currently cleaning his glass. He also posted a link to the instructions he is using.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...cans-negatives

Hope this helps.

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    Does anyone have any information, links, or details on changing out the glass (bottom above the sensor) on an Epson v700? I am planning on buying one, but it has minor (about 1/3 of a dime) scratch on it in the bottom corner. It might not affect my images (35mm, 120, 4x5), but in the event it does I would like to know if this is something I could feasibly do myself? I am pretty handy.

Also, in case you know, if using the betterscanning film holder for LF can I scan two 4x5 negatives at a time? It seems as if it comes with a few blank/uncut light masks, thus I assume we cut out sections for 4x5 negs or just put the negs on the glass with some ANR glass on top? Thus, even then I might be able to position the negatives in a way that are away from the scratch.

Just trying to make sure I have some various options, before buying something and then always PS'ing out a scratch. Not worth the savings in the long run.

I also read about some people suggesting Brasso or Silvo metal polish and trying it on the glass.

Thanks for any advice on changing the glass out and scanning 4x5 with betterscanning.com holders.
    Do you know to look at the bottom of any post page for similar posts?

Scroll down and there is usually 5 from the past.

Good luck!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
    Johnathon,

Ken (Ken Lee) is currently working on cleaning his glass and maybe the best person to ask how easy it is to separate the glass. I would imagine that you can always get a high-quality custom glass but what you should consider what it would cost to get the right size glass. Also as FYI, I got mine refurbished from Epson for less than $450 shipped and it has worked perfectly since arrival. If you are getting a great deal, you should go for it especially if you believe that you can place the negatives outside of the scratch range.

Here is the thread that Ken mentioned he is currently cleaning his glass. He also posted a link to the instructions he is using.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...cans-negatives

Hope this helps.

Pali
    Thanks for the information. I will contact Ken about it. And yes I am not going for just the "deal" if I was only saving a few dollars I would just not worry about the "risk", but at well over half price of a refurbished model then it seems like a no brainer. No film holders, but I planned on using betterscanning anyway and still have ANR glass insert from my last scanner. And it might not be too tough to have a custom piece of glass cut for only 20-30 plus the time to replace it.

And who knows, it might not even need replacing. I just wanted to make sure this was an option in case I do decide to replace it.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Do you know to look at the bottom of any post page for similar posts?

Scroll down and there is usually 5 from the past.

Good luck!
    WOAH!!! Never knew that. I did search before asking...both here and on google. Thanks for the tip.

I am planning on buying one, but it has minor (about 1/3 of a dime) scratch on it in the bottom corner.
    Generally speaking on scanners the calibration and most sensitive areas are the upper-right-corner. Check the manual for the 700 and see if that is so. If so, than a blemish on the lower right may not even affect the majority of scans.

FWIW, I clean all my scanners glass regularly. I've had brand news scanners where the underside of the glass has a coating.
    Most scanners (these days) use plastic cases, and over time the plastic decomposes from the heat and adds a film-coating to the underside of the glass.
    Streaks are a real issue when cleaning scanner glass and require re-checking and re-cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Generally speaking on scanners the calibration and most sensitive areas are the upper-right-corner.
    With the Epson scanners, it's the top strip that is left free by the film holder. Note it's not just the corner.

Btw, a scratch in either of the far lower corners shouldn't be a problem since it'll be outside the image area even when scanning 8x10s. It depends a bit how far from the edge the scratch is, but it doesn't sound like an issue to me, particularly if you scan 4x5 and smaller.

Thanks for the information. Good to know and it seems like the seller cannot even find the scratch anymore. So even if there it seems small. He mentioned 25% from the edge on the bottom corner. He feels it affects 8x10 (perhaps he scanned 8x10 before), but nothing else. And I am confident even if it is there then a film holder will cover it up or if it is actually an issue I can clean the glass and even replace if I feel the need to.