Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Specs for Sinar Pan Tilt Head

Specs for Sinar Pan Tilt Head

Does anyone have the specs for the Sinar Pan-Tilt head? I've checked all over the internet, including the Sinar website, and I can't find them. I'm interested in height when level, the weight, and the diameters of the upper and lower platforms. I just received a new tripod, and I'm considering alternatives for a different head. (Thanks.)

Re: Specs for Sinar Pan Tilt Head

Neil, I sent you a PM, but the crux of it is that a Sinar PT head is best used with a Sinar; I'm not sure if that's the camera you plan on using.

I own a Sinar P 4x5 and when I attach it to my Ries head I have to tighten it down pretty tight because the rail clamp wants to spin on my head. The Sinar heads have a pin that sticks up and prevents the Sinar rail clamps from spinning.

Neil, I'll measure mine when I get home. L

No specs but an interesting read. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ead-Advantages

If you buy one then get the matching tattoo.

Drew Wiley

Alan - that problem is super-easy to cure without resorting to a dedicated Sinar head. But my own head did spin quite a bit back when Sinar accessories still sold at full price.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Alan - that problem is super-easy to cure without resorting to a dedicated Sinar head. But my own head did spin quite a bit back when Sinar accessories still sold at full price.
    I could glue a piece of rubber down on my head. I just make sure it's cranked down really tight. The pin or screw that sticks up on the Sinar head is just another nicety of that head.

I didn't even look at Sinar back then. I just stayed with my Contax 35mm.

Drew Wiley

You could also just rough up the base a bit. Cork tends to be a little spongy unless its highly compressed, a characteristic which can be found. My Sinar rail clamp
    locks down rock solid with just a slight twist of the turnbolt on either of my Ries Tripods.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You could also just rough up the base a bit. Cork tends to be a little spongy unless its highly compressed, a characteristic which can be found. My Sinar rail clamp
    locks down rock solid with just a slight twist of the turnbolt on either of my Ries Tripods.
    No cork either, just a naked head. It works. I just haver to remember to crank it down tighter for my Sinar than I do my Wehman 8x10 I guess because of the smaller surface area of the Sinar rail clamp over the bottom of the Wehman.

I just think the Sinar heads are great for a Sinar. Ries is great for everything else including my Nikon DSLR's. The J100 is a bit overkill for the Fuji X100s but I also own a Tiltall that my daughter has been recently taking over for her Olympus OM-1.

I need to go out somewhere with my Fuji X100s mounted on my Ries A100. I wonder if I'd get some funny looks from the digital crowd?

Drew Wiley

I've told this story before, but...Out on the coast when I have my larger Ries strapped behind my pack, lots of people assume I have a big spotting scope inside the pack and am therefore a bird expert. So they'll walk up with their little binoculars and field guides to birds, and ask me the name of some bird off in the distance.
    It might just be a bluejay or turkey vulture, but I'll make up some ridiculous name for the thing and remark how lucky they are to participate in the first sighting of that species in California. That generally makes their day.