Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicholas Nixon - Technique

Nicholas Nixon - Technique

I've recently been exposed to the work of LF photographer, Nicholas Nixon, in SC HOOL, remaindered at $3.99 at Waldon Books. There's a lot of material about him on the Web, but virtually nothing about his technique other than he uses view c ameras from 8x10 up to 16x20. Many of the people in his pictures appear to be p erforming normal daily activities, but it's hard to believe that if they aren't posed then it's at least staged. He's about the only LF photographer I've seen that uses DOF to his advantage (no F:64 and be there for him). Has anyone obser ved his technique? Does he use bounced flash? Does he focus and compose carefu lly (then close the lens and insert the holder and pull the dark slide) after se tting up the shots that appear so sponteneous? Anyhow, IMHO he's uno mucho mach o photographer!

Bill,

He's on the faculty at MassArt (Massachusetts College of Art), why don't you give him a call? 617.232.1555 (main #) Website: www.massart.edu

Tony

View Camera published an atricle about Nixon in the Jan/Feb 98 issue. The article briefly mentions the AT SCHOOL book but does not give a great deal of information on technique. There are a few notes at the end of the article, including information about his current (1998) camera (8x10 Canham), his film (Tri-X), and his paper (AZO). The article also suggests that he shoots a great deal of film, perhaps as many as 100 sheets per week. Hope this helps.

Yes, he uses a single bounce flash. You can see that in his images. Everything I've read indicates that he shoots solely on 8x10 and has for at least the past twenty five years. He is also about the last photographer I'd describe as "macho" (based solely on his images. There was a retrospective book that came out about ten years ago, before he started the "School" project.

Ellis,

I'm curious about your characterization of Nixon as "macho". From his images of children and AIDS victims, I thought of him as anything but macho. Maybe we have different definitions for "macho".

Any photographer who makes pictures with an 8x10 that I would take with 35mm is Mucho Macho in my book.

Chris,

read my reply again. I was rectint oBill's characterization of Nixon as <I>"uno mucho macho photographer". But it really does take real courage to confront the effects of such a ravaging disease on a subject at such close rangeover a long period of time, as Nicholas Nixon did with his AIDS project.

After looking at a number of his school photographs on the web, I'm quite impressed that he has accomplished what appear to be Leica-style "candid" images with an 8x10. But this leads me to wonder why anyone would bother, except maybe to prove that it can be done. It seems that the advantages of the 8x10 format are largely lost on this type of photography--would these images really be any less effective if taken on a small or medium format camera? Can't say for sure without seeing them "in person," I guess, but I have my doubts.

Also, I cannot help but be conscious of the fact that all of these rather intimate, and apparently unposed images were taken in the presence of a huge 8x10 camera, with tripod, filmholders, etc. This increase my skepticism about the spontaniety and genuineness of the images in a way knowledge of the presence of a smaller camera would not. So in that respect, Nixon's use of 8x10 actually detracts from the images for me.

</I> I really encourage every photographer to buy one of Nicholas Nxon's books</I> or if you afford it, one of his prints.</I>

Clarification: My use of "Mucho Macho Photographer" is intended in the purest sense of awe and respect for the quality and character of his work, as well as the size of his camera. (Like Edward Weston, not Rambo.)