Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contact Printing Question: Paper & Developer

Contact Printing Question: Paper & Developer

What paper and developer combination do you like these days for making contact prints?

Bill Kostelec

Re: Contact Printing Question: Paper & Developer

I use Lodima and Fomalux, about the same price, 2 bucks a sheet for 8X10. For developers I use either Amidol or D-72. (I mix my own). Both papers are silver chloride. Sometimes I want to use a warmtone paper and then I use Ilford fiber base, and expose under the enlarger. Same developers. Contact printing is so satisfying to me. Have fun with yours.

Hi Robert ... I shoot TMY in 5x7, 8x20 and other odd cut sizes and contact print with Lodima and Slavich Bromportrait 80 papers. For paper developers, I use PF130 and Amidol. As Bill notes, contact printing is a wonderful process. Enjoy!

Rick

Dave Karp

I was using Kentmere FB variable contrast until Ilford killed it. Then I switched to ADOX MCC 110. I develop it in AGFA 100 paper developer, which I found in the Darkroom Cookbook. Anchell mentioned the possibility of adding bromide (I can't remember how much) to the standard AGFA 100 formula, which I tried and regularly do. I really, really, like the ADOX MCC 110. I use it for my projection printing as well.

Jumping on this thread. Where are you guys getting your Amidol from, Photographers Formulary? If so, do you filter it? I've never used it personally but have seen it demonstrated in combination with Lodima paper. Impressed, however the recommended source was Artcraft who are out of stock (and have been for some time).

Thanks.

Do people use different paper for Contact prints than for other printing? I find, like film, that it's easier to specialize on one type of paper.

Is there some reason for using a particular paper for contact prints that's different from enlarging printing?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do people use different paper for Contact prints than for other printing? I find, like film, that it's easier to specialize on one type of paper.

Is there some reason for using a particular paper for contact prints that's different from enlarging printing?
    +1! I do only a little contact printing using my enlargers VC light source with a diffuser in the negative stage. The negative and paper is held in an anti-Newton glass sandwich.
    Thread killer.

Old School Wayne

I use whatever paper I have laying around, unless I want a particular effect like warm tones then I'll use some of my old Forte stock. For most papers I'll use whatever developer I have laying around, and for Forte I'll usually mix my own to control the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Jumping on this thread. Where are you guys getting your Amidol from, Photographers Formulary? If so, do you filter it? I've never used it personally but have seen it demonstrated in combination with Lodima paper. Impressed, however the recommended source was Artcraft who are out of stock (and have been for some time).

Thanks.
    Hi Carl ... Yes, I purchased my Amidol from Artcraft. It's a bit more pleasant to use than the Chinese Amidol, which I also have (and filter when using).

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Hi Stone ... You can use any type of paper for contact printing. I prefer using graded paper for simplicity so as to not have another layer of complexity with VC papers, which then would involve having to use my enlarger with longer exposure times, etc. All I need is a lightbulb, glass plate, wood base, paper and I am all set. I have standardized on Lodima and Bromportrait papers which are very close in tonality for my negatives.

Rick