Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PhotoShop Woes

PhotoShop Woes

I purchased a mac pro loaded with Cs3 years back. my operating system was 10.6.8

so working on a job and opened an image and lo and behold a re activation warning pops up. telling me to re activate my PS.. five days notice and the program would stop.

two phone numbers were given for re activation.. Both did not work.. going through the website trying to re activate was next to useless.. basically a complete run around.

five days expired and no PS... so go I think ok lets buy from Creative Cloud .. guess what my operating system is on level too old.

So now I have to send the mac in and have it re fitted with a higher operating system- this is something I was going to do anyway to give the mac an overhaul.

or buy a new Mac Pro- which I also was planning to do..

What pisses me off is the way this happened- I purchased Cs3 creative suite and now it wont work... Also I could try and find the original package and re install but one I do not know
    where that is , and who is to say the re install would work... and even then why am I being forced to do this.

Rant over -

Bob

Re: PhotoShop Woes

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    So now I have to send the mac in and have it re fitted with a higher operating system- this is something I was going to do anyway to give the mac an overhaul.
    You should not have to upgrade the operating system, regardless
    you should be able to upgrade to OS X 10.10.3 from 10.6.8 online, for free.
    Does this work for you? http://www.apple.com/osx/

What pisses me off is the way this happened- I purchased Cs3 creative suite and now it wont work... Also I could try and find the original package and re install but one I do not know where that is , and who is to say the re install would work... and even then why am I being forced to do this.
    Reinstalling it won't help at all. Sorry for that.

I will look into this it may work for me...thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

Bob,

You may need to remove the Flexnet folder. I think many people have had the same problem as you.

See discussions on this at.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=60&tstart=0

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post

Bob, you may not be able to update to the current OS, depending on how old the machine is, so check with that before you spend any money on the Adobe products you want.

If you are running a 2007 or earlier Mac Pro (32-bit machines; Mac Pro 1,1 or Mac Pro 2,1), you will only be able to upgrade to 10.7.5 before you run out of options with respect to the OS.

Since some of the new Adobe products require 10.8 or higher to run, you will have to get either an older physical copy of the software (in which case, you may have trouble getting the proper codes), or update the computer.

Note that currently, I think PS CC will still run on 10.7x, but LightRoom has moved up, and I suspect all the rest will follow soon.

---Michael

I need to upgrade to at least 10.8 which I am going to do.. this really bites.. I can see this happening to a lot of users and its a real PIA.

I also have a newer Imac 26 inch with current Lightroom and CS6 installed at home, I paid full value for these, can't wait for the pop up message telling me it no longer is viable.

I need to upgrade to at least 10.8 which I am going to do.. this really bites.. I can see this happening to a lot of users and its a real PIA.

I also have a newer Imac 26 inch with current Lightroom and CS6 installed at home, I paid full value for these, can't wait for the pop up message telling me it no longer is viable.
    My sympathies Bob, I have just gone through the same situation. I've been using CS3 on a Mac G5 with Leopard 10.5.8. Both Safari and CS3 don't function properly any more. The old system really works well enough for me but there is little freeware or even priceyware that will function on a Leopard machine. Essentially I'm screwed.

But I've been a bit lucky - my son works for Apple (logic design) so I told him he needed a new machine (the trash can version) so he could give me his old MacPro desktop. His old machine was a 2011 MacPro with Yosemite installed with CS5 and with 24 GB of RAM. Thus I've lucked out for a few more years.

But you know just the task of moving a couple of Terabytes of images from the old machine to the younger machine is a plain nuisance not to mention trying to reinstall the various software packages on a new machine - some aren't even supported anymore like my beloved, easy to use Appleworks.

And none of it do I have time to hassle with. Well, end of my rant. The Xenon processors with 24 GB of Ram does sing though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I think this may be my biggest CON for digital up till now... I just have to keep a supply of bulbs handy for my enlargers .. but now I have a whole crop of small details to consider 5 years down the road. Nothing is forever
    anymore.

Its going to cost me about 67 dollars per month to have two complete workstations covered with the complete CREATIVE CLOUD set.. I want a third station down the road and I probably will have to buy a single package on top to facilitate..

What is important is that each competer BOX will have to meet the minimum ongoing parameters to access the Cloud which will mean me up grading two boxes and buying one new system.

I am kind of reminded of the Jobo Alt systems that funny enough baffed out the lift arms around 36000 lifts and required a new arm which for the Alts was no easy purchase and fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    My sympathies Bob, I have just gone through the same situation. I've been using CS3 on a Mac G5 with Leopard 10.5.8. Both Safari and CS3 don't function properly any more. The old system really works well enough for me but there is little freeware or even priceyware that will function on a Leopard machine. Essentially I'm screwed.

But I've been a bit lucky - my son works for Apple (logic design) so I told him he needed a new machine (the trash can version) so he could give me his old MacPro desktop. His old machine was a 2011 MacPro with Yosemite installed with CS5 and with 24 GB of RAM. Thus I've lucked out for a few more years.

But you know just the task of moving a couple of Terabytes of images from the old machine to the younger machine is a plain nuisance not to mention trying to reinstall the various software packages on a new machine - some aren't even supported anymore like my beloved, easy to use Appleworks.

And none of it do I have time to hassle with. Well, end of my rant. The Xenon processors with 24 GB of Ram does sing though.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Re-activation? What? I have never even heard of such a thing. Just curious but CS3 is old as dirt, how/why did it suddenly deactivate?? Is this some kind of Mac thing? Just looked it up and CS3 was announced over 8 years ago!

Seriously though running a printmaking shop doing any kind of work digitally, this is just a standard operating cost (new computers/software). It's a tax write-off anyway. If you have issues with the cost overpriced Apple hardware doesn't help.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Its going to cost me about 67 dollars per month to have two complete workstations covered with the complete CREATIVE CLOUD set.. I want a third station down the road and I probably will have to buy a single package on top to facilitate..

What is important is that each competer BOX will have to meet the minimum ongoing parameters to access the Cloud which will mean me up grading two boxes and buying one new system.

Welcome to today's world. I wouldn't do the whole Creative Cloud thing unless you need it... I pay $10 a month...
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing