Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cable release failure

cable release failure

I took my new (for me) Shen Hao and my one (so far) lens to the Smokies this past weekend for a shoot. I bought two fabric-wrapped cable releases a couple weeks ago, not wanting to face a single point of failure.

The first day they worked just fine. The second day (very cold!) the cable inside both releases would scarcely extend from the sheath. I finally figured out a way to make the release fire by mashing the sheath into a compressed state, and pushing the plunger, however it was very iffy and problematic and I was unable to get exact timing with that method so on longer exposures I closed the shutter by hand.

The releases have dried out and warmed up and seem to be working fine now that I am not out in the 10 degrees Fahrenheit cold.

Any recommendations on an alternative brand / style of release that will be reliable in all weather conditions? I don't want to deal with simultaneous failures again and the spoiled images from camera shake from closing the shutter by hand-pressing the release lever.

cable release failure

Matthew,

I've used the plastic-sheated Promasters (disc lock) and the no-lock fabric sheathed Ebony releases from MPEX. Both worked fine, but I dislike disc locks since you must check them before every exposure to make sure they haven't released into their default "locked" position. I've blown several shots before checking each time since I shoot on "B" most of the time. I carry one release with a lock in case I need it, but if your shutters have a "T" setting, I can't see much use for a cable release lock.

The Promasters also have a long endpiece which is prone to getting bent if you leave the release on the lens all the time. I've gone to leaving Gepe flexible extensions (very small endpiece) on each lens and carrying 2 - 3 cable releases, one of which is a light short "backup" with a screw lock. I've had no problems so far with this set up.

Steve

cable release failure

I get the cheap Calumet brand 20" cloth releases and leave them attached to each lens. I've used them in sub-zero (F) weather without problems.
    http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatItemDetail&ac.item.itemNo=BR5020&ac.cat.CatTreeSearch.detail=y&type=SPDSEARCH

It's odd that you'rs locked up at only 10F. Did the release get wet somehow? Any cloth release will probably lock up if it gets wet and freezes. Plastic coated ones will be more weather-proof, but will get stiff in the cold. I wonder if anyone makes them with silicone coating instead of vinyl (I think silicone would stay pliable in the cold).

cable release failure

I wonder if the bulb type of release wouldn't work well in the cold. There are less mechanical parts to freeze up. I haven't tried it, but I did find one in a camera store bargain bin the other day.

cable release failure

They didn't "freeze", the cable just wouldn't extend enough to trip the shutter. Either the sheath got longer or the inside wire got shorter (or a bit of both).

Thanks all for your suggestions.

cable release failure

Matthew,

I've had very good luck with Gepes. Never a failure so far.

I still have a couple of Minettes(Calumet) knocking around which are also excellent(though pricey) releases but the "throw" is a bit too short to reliably fire my big Ilex Universal self cocking shutters.

Try a Gepe, especially if you're using a Universal, Alphax, or other press type shutter. If you want to spend the extra money :-( and don't require a longer throw, you might look at the Minette(Calumet) woven metal shielded model(but why?)

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

cable release failure

Hi Matthew,

I use a fabric-wrapped cable from Pentax. easy to find around here.

Good quality, and I never had any "freez/stiff" reaction from it, up here in very, very cold conditions.

Salut

cable release failure

I'd have to say that the urethane wrapped Linhofs with the rotating nipple are the strongest, most durable and reliable. Plus the only ones I've found that have no problem triggering Copal 'press' shutters.

cable release failure

So far, the best I`ve found have been the red and black fabric covered ones from Calumet. They`re about $20 USD, work smooth in the cold, and not a single failure, so far...

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

cable release failure

Just use a toothpick or a long fingernail to trip the little lever very carefully yourself.