Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens for Anscow View to do Tintype

Lens for Anscow View to do Tintype

Hi,

I have a Anscow View with a Goerz Dagor f6.8 Series II No. 6 12 inch lens
    Since the Tintype needs a lot of lighting, I'm thinking of upgrading my lens to a 5.6

What do you think of this lens:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181759233174

Do you think it is indeed an easy fix, or there no way to tell and I'm taking a risk buying it?

Thank you for your feedback!

Re: Lens for Anscow View to do Tintype

forget about modern lenses. find a nice and fast Petzval lens if you want to do collodium pictures.

Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I will be doing portraits in studio, using strobes, which I know require tons of power! Could I also use a Petzval in this case?

That is about a half-stop increase in light. So if you need to fire your strobes 30 time to get an image with the f6.8 lens, you will only have to fire them 21 times with the 5.6 lens.

Bull. Don't listen to the above. Yes, you can use a modern lens, and yes, you can use a Dagor for wetplate. In the studio, the faster the better. But an F4.5 Tessar will work just about as fast as an F4.0 Petzval. People do it all the time, some of us here on this forum.

Oh, and one pop of the strobes seems to be working well for many. Mark took me and my wife with wetplate with one pop of a couple of flash units.

Quote Originally Posted by YHP View Post
    Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I will be doing portraits in studio, using strobes, which I know require tons of power! Could I also use a Petzval in this case?
    Yes, but you will need to rig a shutter to these older lenses if you are going to use flash. I have front-mounted a synched Packard shutter to a couple of my Petzvals but mounting a Packard or other type behind a lensboard is another option. You might even be able to have a Petzval custom-mounted in front of a modern shutter if the lens was small and the shutter large. The latter would be a very expensive option and in that case, you might be better off just buying a fast Tessar as Garrett suggested or buy additional strobe power.

I've used f/5.6 Plasmats (Schneider Symmars) successfully with wetplate and strobes with lots of power from a Speedotron Blackline system. A 9600ws quadlight gives me around f/8 at 2m.

Personally, I'd either go with a more modern f/5.6 lens and lots of strobe power, or try to find a nice, faster Tessar if you want to shoot wide-open. Petzvals can impart a nice effect, but they are pricey now compared to Tessars or Plasmats.

Personally, I'm very weary of the head-and-shoulders or closer, deer-in-headlights, frontal Petzval shots done wide-open with little depth-of-field.

Thanks Joe, it's very useful

of course he can use a modern lens. modern lens on collodium results in boring modern look, with the same effect he could shoot on film and spare himself the trouble. just my opinion. OP can listen to whatever he wants.
    format used was not mentioned, but smaller Petzvals can still be found at normal prices, cheaper than a Dagor for sure.
    @Garett - it would be nice not to use words like 'bull', i find it offensive

Thanks Garrett!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The boring modern look from a boring modern f/4.5 Tessar lens:

Versus a head-and-shoulders or closer, deer-in-headlights, frontal Petzval shot done wide-open with little depth-of-field:
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."