Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff DPPI model

Deardorff DPPI model

The idea of a new 4x5/5x7 Deardorff sure is interesting. Does anyone have or has tried the new DPPI model Dorff? I have a 8x10 Dorff and it is a joy to use. If the new camera has all the same build quality I might be tempted to sell my 4x5 Zone and lots more. To convert to 5x7 when wanted would be a plus. Please don't tell me about the Canham. I find the Dorff more instinctive.

Deardorff DPPI model

Jim,

I checked the one out at MPEX a couple of weeks ago and in general seems to be the same quality or near as the old Chicago 'dorffs. The bed plate is square with rounded corners and the lettering wasn't crisp on every letter, but a lot of the Chicagos didn't have perfect casting either. The knobs were the older "coarse tooth" style.

I didn't unfold it and check out all the movements, but I did see Jack Deardorff's brochure, and you can get up to 11x14 if you want. Lot's of choices.

To summarize, it looked pretty much like what it was billed as; a new Deardorff.

Steve

Deardorff DPPI model

Jack Deardorff's phone number is 1-219-464-9748 and he is ready and willing to give you all the info on his Signature Convertible made by Deardorff Photographic Products International. I spoke with him a couple of times around Christmas. Very interesting and historical. He has parts for older cameras and is planning revisions on the current models. This guy is a piece of photo/camera history and his cameras are top quality according to him and Jim at Midwest photo. Jack knows the ins and outs of Deardorffs and knows the high craftsmanship involved in creating these beautiful cameras. His price list is 36 pages of great information and humor. Call him, he'll send you a copy. I was inspired and charged by him and his stories. You'll want to shoot with wood after speaking with him.
    Photo on.
    Gary

Deardorff DPPI model

This IS great news!:-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Deardorff DPPI model

Gary,

Does Jack have a website or email address that you know of?

Thank you.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Deardorff DPPI model

Steve and Gary; Thanks for the info. I have been trying to bid on a complete 4x5-5x7 outfit for the last year and a half. I keep getting picked off by snipers. Brand new for a few hundred more sounds pretty good.

Now, break my heart, how much for a V11? Did he ever say anything about a 7x17?

Deardorff DPPI model

Wood in the Midwest photo looks like cherry -- does anyone know what species it is?

Deardorff DPPI model

Jim,

IIRC, nothing about a 7x17. I don't remember the exact price for the 11x14, but I do recall it wasn't much if any different from other current offerings. If you can do a Wisner or Canham you could do the Deardorff DPPI without any problem.

Steve

Deardorff DPPI model

Henry,

Jack Deardorff is pretty old school. He has an add in Shutterbug Magazine that you must look for carefully. I didn't know about it until he told me. I don't recall a web site or e-mail. If he has either, it is e-mail. If I find something I'll chime in tonight. Try the phone call. Usually early in the morning. He'll answer if he's not in the shop making cameras. I beleive he is pretty much a one man show for now and he will only expand if business demands it. One of the big problems is that woodworkers are not as fine tuned as machinists; to do this kind of work requires a precision machinist who works in wood. They are very hard to come by according to Jack. The man knows his stuff and a few minutes on the phone with him you'll know what I mean.

I think he needs all of our support as a LF enthusiast and fine craftsman. He's willing to do the work. Call him for your Deardorff needs.

Gary

Deardorff DPPI model

Folks,

Spoke with Jim at Midwest today. The 11x14 will likely go for around $5,750 and Jim expects one in April. Gentlemen, start your saving!

Steve