Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what happened to the midwest photo website?

what happened to the midwest photo website?

What's happened to the Midwest Photo website?

It used to be ugly, a bit clunky but nice and functional.

They now have a new webstite that is full of bells and whistles, but is terrible to navigate - finding your way down through subfolder after subfolder, links that don't work, you can't easily view lists of items, the search engine doesn't work properly and things that were on the old site aren't listed on the new one.

It may make their e-commerce a bit more effecient from the sales end, but it is nothing like as nice to browse for things like used equipment or obscure gadgets. I suppose that's the price of progress.

But where did they find those brand new manufactured Deardorffs though?

Paddy,

Jack Deardorff is making them new. They are not old cameras. You could get a brochure if you ask I imagine. He's making them up to 11x14 IIRC.

Steve

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Yeah, the new website was put online before it was tested. A big mistake. It is a horror now. I hope they get feedback and do something about it.

Actually, on first perusal, I like it.

-shrug-

i'm sure jim would welcome constructive feedback...

what would changes would you suggest?

what do you like / dislike about the site?

i'll let this thread run a couple of days, then compile a list and send it his way, compliments of the community on this forum.

Or .... send him an email direct jim@mpex.com. I spent a good 30 minutes on the phone with Jim and Stu yesterday giving feedback. You should also note differences in the website behavior from browser to browser. I noted it acted differently in Safari than in IE.

ted... with all due respect, jim VERY busy. i was simply trying to avoid him having to answer bunches of calls and read tons of emails about the website. it would be far less time consuming for him to see a summary off what we think in one letter.

I like it...

<meta content="Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 7.0" name="GENERATOR">

There's nothing like proprietary Microsoft web pages arrggghh! : >(

The site really sucks on a Mac. Its not even functional in all browsers. In Safari it is mostly legible if you can read type thats run over photos or other type. And I could not get past the first page of six (alleged) pages of cameras. Last time I checked a fair number of photographers use Macs.

And even though it seems attractive for MPEX in a business sorta way to have full e-commerce the very best reason for doing business with them is that you get to talk to Jim (or some other real person) and get your questions answered and get VERY well served. With the old site i could go and browse their stock pretty effortlessly. Not now.

If it were my store I'd send the new web company packing without a paycheck unless they could fix this immediately.

None of this is a jab at MPEX because they are a great store to do businesss with and I hope they get it right.

In Safari it is mostly legible if you can read type thats run over photos or other type.

Text formatting is also screwed up in Firefox.

At least the $50 bill image no longer blocks the photo of that beautiful new Deardorff. So, I know they are working on it.

On a related note, has anybody noticed the Quality Camera web site has been in the process of being updated (with no visible inventory) for about four months now. Not that their old web site was exactly easy to navigate, but at least it worked.

Yeah, ecommerce is great and all that, but I almost always call and place my order after locating an item online. There is just something reassuring about talking with a fellow human on the phone - especially fellow humans like Jim Andracki and Jeff Taugner who are also fellow large format photographers.

Kerry