Thread: Heidelberg Nexscan F4100 Flatbed scanner

Heidelberg Nexscan F4100 Flatbed scanner

Hello

I am having some problems with my scanner and software. Everything was working well some 18 months ago, the unit has been in storage.

I bought a new Adaptor Iomega Zip1 SCSI - firewire adaptor. I tried to use this with my Mac Pro and Mac G5, it couldn't find the scanner. I don't think this would have changed anything, but it may have...

Anyway I went back to my old configuration a Mac G4 running OS 10.3 - Software is Silverfast 6.5 using a SCSI cable from Mac to scanner

Same problem, the software can't find the scanner.

I start the Mac then once the Mac OS is ope, I start the scanner it does its profile run, then I open Silverfast, after a moment it gives an error message, (Scanner is not connected Check your cables etc...)

Advice is welcome... does anyone have a working knowledge on Heidelberg Nexscan F4100 Flatbed scanners.

Cheers Raoul

Re: Heidelberg Nexscan F4100 Flatbed scanner

"I start the Mac then once the Mac OS is ope, I start the scanner it does its profile run, then I open Silverfast, after a moment it gives an error message, (Scanner is not connected Check your cables etc...) "

With Mac OS X, the SCSI device must be operational on the SCSI bus before the computer is booted. So make sure the SCSI cables are secure, start the scanner and let it finalize its start up process, then start the Mac. This is standard procedure for SCSI devices. Mac OS 9 was very lenient and allowed the Mac to "find" SCSI devices with the SCSI Probe utility if the required sequence had not been observed. But OS X strictly honors the SCSI specification and cannot "see" any SCSI devices that were not present on computer boot up.

Honoring this sequence may also work using the Firewire to SCSI adapter, but there may be another utility you need to use to get the Mac to see the SCSI bus created by the Firewire adapter. With the adapter in place, does a SCSI entry appear in System Info?

Hello Rich

I tried to send this message once before... not sure what happened.

Thanks for your reply, all good advice. I have followed the protocols you outlined, and did look up to see if the SCSI was showing in the Mac Hardware Overview. It shows one SCSI card.

Rich I assume you have a Nexscan. I have a couple of questions if I may.

When I start the Nexscan it goes through a procedure where the Scanner formats by putting the scanner carriage through a pass. Once doing this it sits for a few moments, I noticed the front light flashes, then it starts a stage 2 formatting, the nexscan makes some further adjustments (sounds like a micro servo motor going through some steps) After this it goes quite and then the front light stops flashing, at this point I turn on the Mac G4 (connected by SCSI) and then open the software, resulting in the error message. I have tried Lino Color Newcolor and silverfast. All of the software offer various versions of the same message. Can't find the scanner check cables etc...

This is the state of play.

Inside the scanner the SCSI is set to 5.

I have nothing to test the SCSI cable with, this might be the issue.

Am concerned the formatting/ calibration sequence I described could be looking for something, or is failing, do you get the second sequence and does your scanners front light flash?

It all worked before I moved location a year ago, so it is a bit strange.

What do you think

Regards Raoul

Raoul,

I don't have a Nexscan. It sounds like you have a SCSI cable issue or a SCSI termination issue. Are you using a passive or active terminator? I believe the adapter is an ultra-SCSI device which requires an active terminator. SCSI cables are notorious for problems. Even new cables can be suspect. I have a brand new cable that arrived "DOA."