Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older fujinon 125 lens hood

Older fujinon 125 lens hood

I have been using this lens hood for a while now with excellent results but I have been looking for a lens hood without luck.

I can't even find out what the correct size should be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1432593365970.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	134294

Re: Older fujinon 125 lens hood

Usually the lens hood attaches to the camera not the lens. Check your camera accessories manual or look for a generic one.

If you have a press camera or a box-type camera with no movements, then you can find the correct size shade by calculating your angle of view. With this information you can search for a shade from a medium format or 35mm lens with similar angle of view. If you are using a screw-in shade, there will be threads on the front of the lens. Likely you will need an adapter, depending on your thread size and the thread size of the shade you identify.

For example that lens does not cover 8x10 in and 6x9 cm is not considered Large Format anymore. Therefore you have a 4x5 camera. Then angle of view on your camera is about 62 degrees so you could search for a medium format hood from a 65mm lens. Not common but a hood for a 60 or 50mm Zeiss would do.

Look here http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm to figure out which of the confusing 125/5.6 Fujis you have. And measure yours to find out which size filter and hood screws into it.

Earlier this year I came by a 105/5.6 Fujinon, apparently an NW, with a "W-52" hood attached to it with the help of step rings. The hood could well be Fuji original issue. So they exist and are around, but I have no idea which your lens takes or where you might find the right hood. I have to replace the pair of rings it attaches to with a thin 46-52 or get rid of the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Look here http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm to figure out which of the confusing 125/5.6 Fujis you have. And measure yours to find out which size filter and hood screws into it.

Earlier this year I came by a 105/5.6 Fujinon, apparently an NW, with a "W-52" hood attached to it with the help of step rings. The hood could well be Fuji original issue. So they exist and are around, but I have no idea which your lens takes or where you might find the right hood. I have to replace the pair of rings it attaches to with a thin 46-52 or get rid of the hood.
    Thanks I believe its a w and therefore a 46mm

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Usually the lens hood attaches to the camera not the lens. Check your camera accessories manual or look for a generic one.

If you have a press camera or a box-type camera with no movements, then you can find the correct size shade by calculating your angle of view. With this information you can search for a shade from a medium format or 35mm lens with similar angle of view. If you are using a screw-in shade, there will be threads on the front of the lens. Likely you will need an adapter, depending on your thread size and the thread size of the shade you identify.

For example that lens does not cover 8x10 in and 6x9 cm is not considered Large Format anymore. Therefore you have a 4x5 camera. Then angle of view on your camera is about 62 degrees so you could search for a medium format hood from a 65mm lens. Not common but a hood for a 60 or 50mm Zeiss would do.
    Thanks for the tip. I do use a press camera and a compendium wouldn't work for me. I have to use a screw on type or similar.

Do or do not. There is no try.

I use a few old Nikon lens hoods - HN-1, HN-2, and HN-3. I forget which is widest, but a little googling will tell. You'll need a stepup ring.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    Thanks I believe its a w and therefore a 46mm
    That should be easy. B&H sells a 46 to 52mm step up ring. With that you can choose from a number of wide angle lens hoods with 52mm threads. Anything listed as safe for 35mm and longer lens on full-frame 35mm film.

Since I need one pronto I just taped one on from a Kodak 127 I had laying around. But I will be searching for a more proper solution.

Dave Karp

I have the next version, smaller image circle, but EBC coated. The 52mm wide angle screw in hood vignetted if I used to much movement. I went to a metal 67mm wide angle hood and a step up ring. It seems to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    . . . I do use a press camera and a compendium wouldn't work for me. I have to use a screw on type or similar.
    A collapsible lens hood that hangs from the press camera front standard can be improvised from black mat board. It's larger size makes it more effective than a round hood mounted on the lens.