Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AM vs PM golden hour

AM vs PM golden hour

Are there any noticeable differences besides direction when shooting 1 hour after sunrise (AM) vs 1 hour before sunset (pm)

I use the term 1 hour loosely. But are there differences in quality of light affected by whether the sun is setting or rising? Besides direction.

Re: AM vs PM golden hour

Sunset tends to be dustier - more stuff likely to be happening but sunrise tends to be cleaner color. Just my take but this is based on painting observation, not photographing...DJ

Thanks that's a good point and it certainly makes sense at least in populated areas where people would be more active towards dusk. That might be a positive or a negative depending on content/context

Agree with N Dhananjay, around the place I live the air is more humid at the morning, dust settles and the impression I have is a cleaner "air", and it obviously reflects in the pictures taken. Theere is also the morning fog, which can introduce a new element in composition. Those 2 Golden Hours has their ins & outs which have to be taken in consideration,IMO,

Cheers,

Renato

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I tend to be a lot more hung over in the AM golden hour...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Difference?

For the evening golden hour I am still awake! The main obstacle is that it often coinxides with the family dinner hour.

To address the question: My perception is that the evening is a wrmer light while the AM lighting seems cooler. this may be a function of morning dew/mist etc or it may be a subjective thing.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The ability to be awake during the AM seems to be the crux for most as it is for me as well. And moon rise NM makes a strong case for the PM

AM golden hour, I'm sleeping or getting coffeed. I have seen it and photographed in it though on rare occasion. Direction is the main difference for me. I am near the ocean and the ocean is generally more still in the morning if that's important.

If you're shooting architecture, perhaps interior window lights would be more prevalent in the evening with late workers. Just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I tend to be a lot more hung over in the AM golden hour...

And drinking to get that way in the evening golden hour. It is named the golden hour because that is the color of beer.