Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 240mm G Claron reassembly order.

Re: 240mm G Claron reassembly order.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Sounds like you have it figured out. Retaining or spacing rings with lips on them are usually for centering and retention of the element within the group. Definitely shouldn't be any rattles.
    Thanks Ed, the idea of centering instead of spacing certainly assuages a few of my concerns, and I can see how I've been thinking wrongly now. Kevin has offered to open his 240mm next week and see how it's assembled, that will be really helpful and put my mind at rest. I guess I won't be making the same mistake again.

The help here has been fantastic, it's my first post on this site and the response has been great. Thanks everyone.

I won't be able to until Tuesday. Just I'm clear on it, you have disassembled the REAR component by turning the slotted ring counter clockwise. Then took out the outermost cemented group and now you're not sure how the spacers below (behind) that larger rear group are supposed to go?

Yes, that's it Kevin. At present I have assembled the group so that the washer with a raised edge lip facing toward the rear of the front element so that it cups the rear of the front element. The flat washer is put in place over the smaller rear element, when the whole thing is tightened there is no movement, or rattling of the elements.

I've assembled the front the group the same way too, both front and rear groups have the same arrangement.

OK, I meant to do this last night but didn't get around to it. I will check tonight. I'm 99% sure you have it right now.

Thanks Kevin, that will be great. It will be so reassuring to know if I have got it right, it won't be a mistake I make again, I'll be more observant next time.

Glad to help out. I have an unmolested 240 G-claron I can open up if need be too.

Thanks Ed, that would be really helpful. I think I have it right, but I'm not 100% sure and it would be such a pity if I had it like that for years! If it's not trouble and you do, I'll let Kevin know that you've done that.
    Best regards,
    Geoff