Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How NOT To Buy Someone Elses Rejected Lenses ?

How NOT To Buy Someone Elses Rejected Lenses ?

Um, Scott, what DID you do with the haggis?

To make sure I get the freshest one in the case, I lick 'em all!

If ya see one with slobber marks on the objective, it's a C.J. reject!!!!!!!!

CJ, won't sniffing do for detecting rotten ones? Which flavors do you recommend?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Dan

Scott,

In all seriousness, I think that what you are asking for is overall a moot point, as very nearly all the lenses made for LF, if used properly should likely achieve the detail it sounds like you want. You haven't mentioned what format you are going to shoot, but 4x5 should make your 645 look like a p&s, with almost any lens you strap on, and 8x10 and up.....I'd be far more concerned with scanning/enlarging than the most razor sharp lens known to man. For the record I have everything from DSLR to 35mm to 6x7 to 8x10, and by far and away my 8x10 creates the sharpest photos, certainly with the most detail, yet I don't think I own an 8x10 lens over $110 (although, I don't have any shutters either and barrel lenses are cheap) while a single 35mm lens cost me as much as my entire LF outfit. My guess is the chances of finding a lens that won't at least have 2x the resolution of your 645 (and even this would be pretty damn hard) would probably be ~ 1 in 1000. If you read these forums, I think you'll find that there are few, if any complaints about "unsharp" lenses. If you want a decently cheap lens with nearly legendary appeal, try picking up an Artar, I don't even think there are rumours of softness. Hope this helps.