Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Scanning DIY for Epson scanners (v700/v750/v800/v850)

Re: 8x10 Scanning DIY for Epson scanners (v700/v750/v800/v850)

I'm working with a friend to have one made just now. He's in Chicago and I'm in NYC though so it's a little slow going. If he's interested in taking orders I'll report back with a forum post and a price.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    Do you mask off any areas on the scanner so you don't get mounting fluid in the scanner somehow?
    Yeah, eeek - wet mount on the glass sounds like recipe for a disaster.

Is anyone selling one of these yet? I'd like to buy one.

Jordan, There was a good bit discussion but I don't believe anyone really produced these in any quantities since most found the Ben Horne version to be more ideal and easy to do themselves. You should be able to make one out of rubber mats yourself easily.

Pali

I've just spotted this thread. Therefore, please may I ask what might be considered stupid questions?
    1] why does a (positive/negative) film need to be raised above the scanner glass?
    2] why and/or how was the 1.5mm determined?
    3] does the same philosphy apply to 4x5 and if so what is the the raised dimension?
    4] are the arguments within this thread peculiar to Epson scanners or do they apply to 'any' scanner?

regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    I've just spotted this thread. Therefore, please may I ask what might be considered stupid questions?
    1] why does a (positive/negative) film need to be raised above the scanner glass?
    2] why and/or how was the 1.5mm determined?
    3] does the same philosphy apply to 4x5 and if so what is the the raised dimension?
    4] are the arguments within this thread peculiar to Epson scanners or do they apply to 'any' scanner?

regards
    Tony
    1. To eliminate newton rings.

2. It could be less! but then the material could get fragile, but the reasoning is the DOF of the scanner lens can accommodate that height. 1mm would probably work fine.

3. No, because there are already great holders for 4x5 that allow you to use the better higher resolution lens (that doesn't cover 8x10). Betterscanning makes the one I use.

4. Any scanner but the Epsons are the most common, and still made so that's the one I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    eliminate newton rings, the DOF of the scanner lens can accommodate that height, already holders for 4x5, any scanner
    Thank you

Tony

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447150635976.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	142088

Laser cut 3mm aluminum plate with frosted treatment for my EPSON~
    4x5
    5x7
    8x10
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S. View Post
    Had one of these precision milled from plain steel by a local machine shop and painted matte black. Chose steel, 1st, because the shop had 1.2 mm material in stock, which would allow for shimming to greater height if necessary, and 2nd, for the ability to try magnets for film holding at some later date.

I used the dimensions on the original drawing, except for the height of the inside hole. I specified 246 mm, not 248 mm, based on my own measurements which showed that to be the proper height for the actual image area of my negatives. I shot with mostly older Fidelity and Lisco holders; perhaps the original author's negatives were different.

The frame came out flat, and did not require taping to the scanner. The slightly greater weight of steel vs. aluminum or plastic helped. And as you can see from the attached, I needed very little magic tape to stretch and attach a negative. If worried about scratching the scanner glass, one could either put a bit of tape or the original Epson film area guide under the frame . However, the frame was perfectly smooth and deburred inside and out.

My machinist was John Zug at Quicksilver Precision Tool in Florissant, Colorado, a small town west of Colorado Springs. (http://www.quicksilvertool.com/) As he says on his homepage, he specializes in custom surgical instruments and positioner fabrication. The execution was excellent++. Serious work — see the attached photos. It could've been made by Epson. I paid seventy-five dollars with painting, but John said he feels he would need to get at least ninety dollars to do them one off manually. He does have a CNC mill however, and said there could be significant savings if he could get orders for at least five at a time, which would justify programming the part for the CNC machine. Other materials are available. Shipping would be extra.

John gave me his permission to post his info, and would welcome inquiries directly from forum members.
    A quick acknowledgement and thanks to Chuck for suggesting his machinist, John Zug, in Colorado. Just received the holder John made for me...it's perfect, and the scans are producing discernibly better sharpness on my 8x10's. Cost $90, and works better than the piece of anti-Newton ring glass I've been using.

Another recommendation for John Zug, excellent work on holders I had him make me for 8x10 and 5x7

I had him make mine to slightly larger opening dimensions so I could get some rebate
    So far the 5x7 version is working perfectly
    Last edited by asf; 17-Aug-2017 at 08:24.