Thread: UV Exposure Dose Meters ('Integrators') for artists and photographers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UV Exposure Dose Meters ('Integrators') for artists and photographers

UV Exposure Dose Meters

We offer ultra-violet (UV) exposure dose meters (also called 'integrators') designed specifically for artists who work with UV media sensitive such as:

- Solar plate™, ImagOn™ or similar photopolymer and photogravure processes
    - Platinum or Palladium printing
    - Cyanotypes
    - Kallitypes
    - Van Dyke browns
    - Carbon prints
    - and similar processes which use UV light to expose an image

The meters are designed to enable the artist to get perfect exposures every time without the need to make test strips for every exposure, even when using light sources (such as the sun) where the UV levels might be variable.

You use the meter to establish a 'target UV dose' for your combination of light source and medium, which you only need to do one time. Then use this 'target dose' for future prints - you don't need to make any more test strips, simply use the meter to monitor the UV during the exposure step and stop when you reach the target dose.

We offer affordable meters with built-in sensors as well as external sensors suitable for use in vacuum frames.

For full details please visit out website: www.LightMeasure.com

Re: UV Exposure Dose Meters ('Integrators') for artists and photographers

hello,
    could you please publish the spectral sensitivity of your detector. thank you.

can your sensor display intensity versus wavelength?

the language used in your publi-reportage is quite ambiguous…

thank you for more detailed response :-)

most "artists" might not know what questions to ask...

Hello George,
    Thanks for your interest. We actually offer a range of meters for different needs, and with slightly different wavelength responses, but all are selectively sensitive to the UV wavelength range, for example 320 - 460nm. They are 'blind' to visible wavelengths. We show detailed spectral response curves on our website, along with the emission spectra of UV emitting lamps/bulbs and other sources that artists and photographers frequently use.

You can find the spectral response curves here: www.lightmeasure.com/spectra/
    and a list of FAQs which you might find useful here: www.lightmeasure.com/faq/

We offer meters with internal sensors, as well as external sensors for use with vacuum frame systems, or situations where a very thin sensor is required.

The meters do not display intensity versus wavelength, but rather they 'count photons' that pass through an optical filter in the range that interests you - i.e. they calculate the total dose of the light in the specified range. I'm afraid that to get the intensity vs. wavelength requires a spectrometer which is a much more complex (and expensive) instrument.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Ian Parker, LightMeasure.

There are spectral sensitivity charts on the website.

thanks for the feedback, here some more comments:
    -the spectrum graphics in the product descriptions do not open dependant on browser
    -I could not find a postal address nor phone or fax numbers of the company

for the measuring device:
    -very interesting as idea, but I would like to see more features… :-) :-)
    -I would compare the exposure for ""ALT"" to exposure under the enlarger,
    this device allows just to confirm that the enlarger bulb is still delivering the same intensity
    -what is missing is measurement of the negative density, to determine a new exposure
    value (at least that is not shown in the product information)
    -and in ""ALT"" many people use Pyro, and this is also sensitive to the UV wavelength
    ---> so I think your device should measure the UV light, as seen through the negative

---> I don't think that it would be complicated to differentiate the wavelength of UV light,
    you don't need to show the exact spectrum, so:
    -if use the same photodiode for your 3 models, you could have a switchable filter
    -if not you could have 3 different photodiodes switchable, the whole display body could be
    the same for all 3 photodiodes

I am wondering whether your device can still function on 5 volts, where your battery low alarm
    is coming, but you surely have tested that.

regards

Would this help with wet plate collodion? I'd be interested in seeing a video of how it works

Hello George,
    In addition to measuring the 'dose', the meter also shows the intensity of the UV light, so it is straightforward to use it to monitor the stability of your enlarger bulb, or as you suggest, to monitor the UV transmission of a new negative to determine a new exposure. It is also useful for monitoring ambient UV in your studio (since that is not always apparent to your naked eye).

Regarding the different spectral response of the three meters, it would certainly be possible make a unit containing all three filter/sensor combinations, but the price would be higher. Most people have a preferred range and don't need the extra choice. That being said, if you have a specific need we can discuss how we might help.

Although the meter alerts you once your battery has dropped to 5V, the meter will in fact continue to work down to 4V, at which time the contrast on the display becomes too low to read easily. The sensor and microprocessor continue to work down to < 3V.

Hope this helps.

Ian, LightMeasure.

PS may I ask which browser you had trouble with? We tested our website with all the major browsers and didn't find problems, so this would be useful information. Thanks.

Hello axs810,

I've never worked with wet plate collodion myself so I can't advise you from personal experience. However, after a little reading it seems like the process is sensitive to blue wavelengths, which might coincide with the wavelength response of our meters. However I couldn't find information describing whether WPC is also sensitive to longer wavelengths too. If so, our meter would not measure those, even though your medium would be exposed. I'll need a little more information regarding the wavelength sensitivity of WPC plates before I can advise you better - maybe one of the other readers knows the answer.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Ian, LightMeasure