Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rodenstock-Ysarex 150mm 4.5 ??

Re: Rodenstock-Ysarex 150mm 4.5 ??

Mick, you can drill out one of your boards to fit your lens, or find a machine shop to do it. Or find a Cambo board that's already the right size- the hole size is determined by the size & make of the shutter. KEH or MPEX might be good places to look for one, and of course Calumet (who own Cambo anyway) should have new lensboards.

I have a Ysarex 127mm lens that I took off an old Polaroid and now use on a Speed Graphic. My general impression is that it's probably sharper than the Graflex Optar that I use on my Super Graphic.

I've recently bought a Linhof Technika IV kit with a Rodenstock-Ysarex 150mm f4.5 from a previous owner. Unfortunately I've just stepped into the world of LF and I am not really familiar with these lenses. Is it recommended to use or should I consider buying a newer lens? I found a great offer, a Rodenstock Sironar-N MC 150mm f5.6 and Iam thinking of buying it, but I really need some help first.

Should I stick to the Ysarex or is it worth to buy the Sironar? Is there any reasonable difference between them? I am a fine art photographer, so the quality is very important to me and I can buy this Sironar very cheap right now. Thanks for any reply.

Do or do not. There is no try.

If you can afford it, buy the Sironar-N and keep the Ysarex. They're very different lenses, and you might find you prefer one or the other in certain situations. The Ysarex is a Tessar design, lots of people like Tessars. The Sironar-N is a Plasmat design and has more coverage, lots of people like Plasmats. You can always sell one of them on later after you've compared the results and made your decision.

First things first. Try the Ysarex now or you will never know how well, or not, it works.

I have a Ysar 135mm f4.5. It is a nice small lens, which I use on a Japanese half-plate field camera adapted to 4x5. It covers 4x5, but with not much extra coverage for movements.