Thread: Ilex/Computar

Ilex/Computar

I discovered this morning that my Computar 240, the whole thing in the barrel configuration, fits directly into the front of one of my old Ilex No. 4 Acme shutters. This could possibly be
    attributed to the fact that the Ilex is accurate, but well used, so the threads are a bit sloppy.

However, it is securely and squarely mounted so I am wondering.... is there any reason that I
    cannot use the Ilex on it’s board mounted in the usual way on my 7x11 as a behind the lens
    shutter for the 240 Computar? The lens does not seem to interfere with the mechanism of the
    shutter and as the maximum aperture for the Ilex is 6.8 and the Computar is 9 I am assuming
    that I can employ this combination using Ilex wide open and setting f-stops with the iris of the Computar.

I am most likely missing something screaminlgy obvious as to why this will not work, could
    someone please enlighten me as to what that is? However, if there are no complications I just
    saved myself the necessity of acquiring a Copal 3S for my Computars......

Cheers & Thanks!

Ilex/Computar

There shouldn't be any problem unless the shutter vignettes the image circle. Check and see.

Steve

Ilex/Computar

The apertures marked on the shutter will be for whatever lens was originally mounted. But, as Steve mentioned, if the maximum aperture on the shutter doesn't vignette the image from the lens, you should be OK - assuming, of course, the speeds on the Ilex are reasonably accurate. One wrinkle to be aware of is that tilts may be a little more difficult due to the forward placement of nodal point of the lens.

Ilex/Computar

Shutter aperture does not seem to interfere... seems fine looking in and looking out. Have to use indirect front tilt with my 7x11 so I think I can work around the nodal point.

But in another unrelated matter, I was just perusing the hard copy of my bank statement and it
    felt strangely familiar in my hand...... it is exactly the same size as a 7x11 negative! Got me to
    wondering if this is some kind of hilarious metaphoric synchronicity or if the formats actually
    evolved in relation to paper sizes.... I had assumed that the formats had somehow originated
    with aspects of glass manufacturing...... hmmmmmm.

Ilex/Computar

Your observation regarding the paper size of your bank statement is very interesting, Annie. In fact, it motivated me to examine similar parallels within my own environment. Not surprisingly, I found a strong parallel between my bank statement and a pinhole lens. ;-)