Thread: 180/5.6 Tominon

180/5.6 Tominon

I just received one of these, s/n 1218. It is in barrel, the rear of the barrel is threaded M40x0.75, i.e., screws into the front of a #1 shutter. The lens appears to be a triplet, with two elements in front of the diaphragm and one behind.

I've done google and google.groups searches for things like it, found nothing.

Can anyone tell me about the lens' intended application? The mount threads make me think it might have been intended for the Polaroid MP-4, but is isn't mentioned in my MP-4 literature and MP-4 Tominons don't have serial numbers. Come to think of it, what I take for a serial number is very low, so might be a model number.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

Dan

p.s., I've also posted this question on rec.photo.equipment.large-format

180/5.6 Tominon

I am looking at a Polaroid 180 Land camera, apparently it was known as an advanced camera with no more than 90,000 manufactured. This also has a Tominon 4.5, 114 mm lens. The front threads were to accomodate a number of accessories, such as close up adaptors (complete with an adaptor for the viewfinder), a ring flash as well as a more mundane lens hood.

I was just browing to find some information on this camera and ran into this thread.

Ted

180/5.6 Tominon

Dan, I'm sorry, I was innacurate. I bought the 180 f5.6 cells on Ebay and my poor memory seemed to tell me they were from a 180. 114mm is correct from the 180 and I've bought those before also. I remember I mounted and calibrated the 180 cells and was impressed with center sharpness but felt that the corners suffered badly. The ones I had were definitely Tessar. Sorry I confused everyone.

180/5.6 Tominon

Dan I've had those before from a Polaroid 180 and the front and back come out ot the barrel and go into a Copal shutter OK. At least the one I had did. I thought while the center was very nice the sides deteriorated quicker than other tessars. Oh, mine was definitely a tessar type. Fair circle for 4X5 and for your 6X9 stuff it would be excellent.

180/5.6 Tominon

Thanks, Jim. I've looked and looked and all I see in the rear cell is two strong reflections, not a faint one anywhere. And it isn't obvious how the cells come out. Guess I'll have to play more with it.

The next time I have film in a Nikon I'll mount it up on a bellows and shoot it near and far, then we'll know whether it is worth using on 2x3 and still know nothing about usability on larger formats.

Cheers,

Dan

180/5.6 Tominon

Jim, I looked up the Polaroid 180 camera. It seems that we're talking about two very different lenses.

Mine is f/5.6, 180 mm focal length, is a triplet.

The 180 camera has a 114 mm f/4.5 tessar type.

And now we know why you left me so puzzled.

Cheers,

Dan