Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebay scam alert.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ebay scam alert.

A SCAM in the making?

If you are on the market for a 14x17 ULF, be aware of this situation. The first listing recently sold but the second listing, (the SCAM?) just came up days after the first sale.

Same pics, same text, 0 feedback seller, private auction, payment methods not disclosed. Smells like a SCAM. If you're interested, you may want to contact both the seller and the buyer of the first, original listing. They surely know this camera's whereabouts.

The ebay anti-scam police should be made aware of this if, indeed, the camera is with the original buyer.

No way in hell would I bid for this!

(recent listing) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15248&item=3864445431&rd=1

(current listing) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=627&item=3868966596&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

ebay scam alert.

Looks like a shill (sp?) bid to me. Looks like he wants to get the price a lot higher. I'd definately use a escrow company if I were bidding on it though

ebay scam alert.

First auction says Houston, Texas. Second says England. Different name too. Yikes.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

ebay scam alert.

It's a scam. The owner of the camera is informed and has responded on APUG, and eBay is alerted.

ebay scam alert.

The ad on e bay is a scam.The camera was sold and delivered last week.I have nothing to do with this ad,this is clearly a fraud .Luis a desantos.

ebay scam alert.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3868756075&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

ANOTHER LIKELY SCAM. It's a 4x10 Canham, for sale with photos from Keith's web site (not the actual product for sale), together with a Schneider 180mm lens (which doesn't cover 8x10), and--get this--4x5 film holders! All from someone with no recent photo related transactions or transactions with people buying/selling photography. Watch out for these bastards.

ebay scam alert.

Tony,

I saw that auction and was going to post something about it being a possible scam, but I decided to ask the lister and see what they responded before I posted it as a scam. I'm waiting response from them right now.

Unfortunately, they have a BIN price, and someone may jump on it before it is exposed as a scam (which I think it probably is). I hope I'm wrong.

---Michael

ebay scam alert.

Michael, I had the same reservations to say something at first, and I don't mean to offend the person who posted the camera if it's all legit (which seems highly unlikely). But I'd much rather offend someone and get them to make us all feel safer with a more legit-looking ad than not say something.

ebay scam alert.

Tony,

I think you are right. I would rather that the lister be forced to post actual photos of the camera and better information than have a member of the LF community be scammed out of $2900.

The lister in this case has one difference from all the regular scammers; they have a history with substantial feedback. However, none of it is recent enough to see what the auctions were for, so it's not possible to determine if they are legit feedback or not.

The scammers are going to get more sophisticated as time goes on, so people will need to be much more careful with auctions. I think the golden days of ebay LF auctions are past, as the scammers have clearly moved into even the specialized categories like ours.

---Michael

ebay scam alert.

Also, the 4x10 Canham listing does say it has a 4x5 reducing back - hence the holders and lens. However, as has been said, better safe than (very) sorry. You would have though that practically everyone had a digicam point-and-shoot laying around these days...

Bob.