Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not new to photography, but, new to LF

Total noob

Re: Not new to photography, but, new to LF

Thanks go out to cdholden for the package that he sent to me. You see, I bought his Calumet roll film back and, while discussing it over PMs, we struck a deal where I would buy one of his lenses for a more than fair price. What I received in the mail today was that lens, a bunch of film, and the lens elements from another lens. Basically, I'm pretty much set for taking photos with this camera now. I just need a Copal #1 shutter and I'll even have a second lens to use. Thanks again for your generosity and please let me know if I can ever return the favor.

Total noob

So here we are over three years later and I have been offline. A lot has happened in those three years: specific to these forums, my wife, in her strange ways, decided to clean a shelf in the garage and threw out a case that housed three of the large format lenses that I had put in there. That pretty much killed all of the enthusiasm that I had for doing large format photography. Sure, I had use the Calumet roll film back in the Omega a few times but that was about it. The Schneider Kreuznach 150mm Symmar that I got from cdholden was on the Omega when she threw out the lenses so that one was saved. When I say "threw out" I mean straight into the garbage can so they're in a local landfill now. What a shame. Yes, I know what some of you are thinking and it's taken me a few years to decide to do this but, yes, I'm leaving her after 26 years of this type of BS because I'm just getting tired of it. Yes, she's done this to me before (Omega D2 enlarger, countless other things). Anyway, enough of my personal life. I've recently discovered Speed Graphic cameras and have bought a few to play with. I have two Baby Speed Graphics, one in rough but working condition and the other in great condition but with a shutter that requires some work. I've been using the rough one with a Graflex 23 roll film back to learn how to use the Speed Graphic and it's been a blast. I also have a 3X4 Speed Graphic that is in rough but working condition (I put a minimum bid on it on eBay and ended up buying it and now don't know what to do with it. That's the story of my life these days, LOL). I have an old Speed Graphic 4X5 on its way as well that's in rough and unknown condition. The Omega is still sitting on a tripod in my garage but it's a bit big to lug around. Oh, and I ended up buying an Aero Ektar 178mm f/2.5 at a garage sale for an undisclosed amount but I can tell you that I can sell that thing for next to nothing and still turn a profit on it.

I recently thought I had come up with an innovative idea to produce prints using an alternative method where I would shoot photos onto photo paper, scan them on the flatbed scanner, then reverse the image in software and process, only to find out that this is already a thing, it's called paper negatives. LOL!

That's where I am at now. I only rediscovered these forums because I was trying to answer a question on a Facebook group about a DIY lens and remembered a post from these forums. Guess I'll try to stick around a bit more this time since I've gotten bitten by the bug again.

Foamer

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I got lucky and found a wife that is a real gem, and I know it. I treasure her above all my stuff with the possible exception of my c.1845 Ross Petzval. Anyway, I think you'll have a lot of fun with those baby Speed Graphics as they are very versatile and easy to carry. The 4x5 opens up a lot of possibilities with color film. I think you are set for new adventure! Wishing you the best.

Kent in SD

This life we all know is a short one,
    While some tongues are long, heaven knows.
    And a miserable life is a husband's
    Who numbers his wife with his foes!"

--Stephen Foster, 1854
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    So here we are over three years later and I have been offline. A lot has happened in those three years: specific to these forums, my wife, in her strange ways, decided to clean a shelf in the garage and threw out a case that housed three of the large format lenses that I had put in there. That pretty much killed all of the enthusiasm that I had for doing large format photography. Sure, I had use the Calumet roll film back in the Omega a few times but that was about it. The Schneider Kreuznach 150mm Symmar that I got from cdholden was on the Omega when she threw out the lenses so that one was saved. When I say "threw out" I mean straight into the garbage can so they're in a local landfill now. What a shame. Yes, I know what some of you are thinking and it's taken me a few years to decide to do this but, yes, I'm leaving her after 26 years of this type of BS because I'm just getting tired of it. Yes, she's done this to me before (Omega D2 enlarger, countless other things). Anyway, enough of my personal life. I've recently discovered Speed Graphic cameras and have bought a few to play with. I have two Baby Speed Graphics, one in rough but working condition and the other in great condition but with a shutter that requires some work. I've been using the rough one with a Graflex 23 roll film back to learn how to use the Speed Graphic and it's been a blast. I also have a 3X4 Speed Graphic that is in rough but working condition (I put a minimum bid on it on eBay and ended up buying it and now don't know what to do with it. That's the story of my life these days, LOL). I have an old Speed Graphic 4X5 on its way as well that's in rough and unknown condition. The Omega is still sitting on a tripod in my garage but it's a bit big to lug around. Oh, and I ended up buying an Aero Ektar 178mm f/2.5 at a garage sale for an undisclosed amount but I can tell you that I can sell that thing for next to nothing and still turn a profit on it.

I recently thought I had come up with an innovative idea to produce prints using an alternative method where I would shoot photos onto photo paper, scan them on the flatbed scanner, then reverse the image in software and process, only to find out that this is already a thing, it's called paper negatives. LOL!

That's where I am at now. I only rediscovered these forums because I was trying to answer a question on a Facebook group about a DIY lens and remembered a post from these forums. Guess I'll try to stick around a bit more this time since I've gotten bitten by the bug again.
    Not 2 minutes ago I posted a similar tale of woe!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...86#post1468986
    Tin Can

Total noob

Two23, glad to hear that you were fortunate enough to meet someone who respects you. I need to work on that and hope that I can do similarly the next time. Time will tell.

Randy Moe, wow, that reminds me of my wife in some ways. She doesn't have a sentimental bone in her body. When her dad passed away she threw out all photos that we have in the house of him. I would have thought that she would have kept them or given them to her siblings but, nope, straight into the garbage can. That opened my eyes and made me realize that things that I had thought were misplaced up to that point probably met the same fate. I've been leery of her since and have caught her in the act a few times to her denying everything. If I can't trust her then I shouldn't be here with her.

The old 4X5 arrived today and it is in worse condition than I had feared but the good news is that the shutter still works and is free from any pinholes that I could see and I used a bright flashlight to inspect it. The bellows, on the other hand, well, let's just say that I'm debating replacing or patching about 20 pinholes in the hope that no new ones develop soon. It's probably a lost cause and I should have invested in a better condition camera but that's life, I guess.

The thing is that both the photography and the time spent working on new old cameras is what keeps me going these days.