Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider to be a mural?

What do you consider to be a mural?

Hi everyone,

I had an interesting conversation with a gallery about how to describe the larger of my silver gelatin prints, ranging from 30x40 to about 50x70 inches (image size) - I pretty much tap out at a paper size of 57x85 inches. Their suggestion was to term these prints oversize rather than murals to avoid any confusion with much bigger installations like huge lightboxes or paintings that may span over 9ft wide, for example.

I see their point and was curious to hear your thoughts. At what size is a print considered a mural?

Michael

Re: What do you consider to be a mural?

My definition of mural is that the image is applied directly to the wall—is that passe? Why do you need a term, can't you simply state the dimensions of you photographs?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I suppose I'd consider a photo a mural if it were so big or had other qualities that required a permanent installation. I don't really think of something in a frame that hangs from a screw in the wall as a mural, even if it's big.

When it needs to be printed on more than one piece of paper.

Ian

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mural

I have used the term "mural-size" but that's really a misnomer because there's no true definition for it. I used (misused) the term because most people understood what I was trying to convey. This is because the term "mural" has been misused/abused by so many people and for so long that its definition seems to be in transitional phase.

According to Adams---

Oh, I thought I'd read Muriel. Never mind
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Richard...The subject came up in the context of the limitations of silver-printing versus other approaches to production within the medium. They weren't asking me to define my sizing, per se. It was just a matter of discussion. One way or another, I don't think there's a right or wrong.

paulr...That's a really interesting point. I didn't considered the permanence of an installation piece or the significance of the nature of its installation.

Ian...I completely agree. I wish I didn't have an aversion to enlarging my negs more than 4.5x, though stitching prints together is an animal unto itself.

Old-N-Feeble...I think you hit the nail on the head. As long as you're conveying what you intend, there really is no misuse of the term. A lot of terms and ideas are appropriated in art and I think their misuse is more a function of whether that conveyance happens, whether it fits with a given piece.

John...point well taken.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Michael

The conventional use of the word mural pertains to applying a piece of artwork directly to a wall. That would exclude a framed piece of art. I don't think mural has any connotation as to size (other than the fact that walls tend to be large).

If you were going to adhere your print directly to a wall, the the word mural may make sense. Otherwise I think not.

Let's try to 'bend' definition of mural just a bit. What if we permanently mount (glue) an image to a wall? Or, if that's not confusing enough, what if we paint a wall with silver emulsion and print directly on that? Please forgive the ensuing chemical mess and stains.

It's an enlarged photograph applied directly to a wall or ceiling, maybe when more then one piece of photo have to be printed.