Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drum scanning in India

Drum scanning in India

Could anyone that has had good experience with outsourcing drum scanning of MF/LF to India recommend a company there ? I've found a company that will drum scan a 5x7 transparency to 300MB for $5 and clean up the scan for an additional $5, but I'd prefer to use someone with a proven track record. They also seem to be using a drum scanner that is about 10 year old, but I assume that it would still produce good results from 5x7 film at that file size, since it's no more than 1800dpi.

Drum scanning in India

Wow. Do you think that might really work? How onerous would shipping be?

Drum scanning in India

It's already been done by agencies and even some stock photographers, otherwise I wouldn't ask for experiences and recommendations. I don't think shipping a small package anywhere would be more than about one or two hundred dollars. For reference, a single 300GB drum scan in the US is about $80.

Drum scanning in India

Do you think Nancy Scans or Repro Scans will follow suit. I find this topic quite interesting. The next predictable result of this will be companys with Tango or Crosfield Drum scanners , dumping them on the market like hot potatoes. I am waiting to buy my Tango or Crosfield for pennys on the dollar. Good news for a photographer or small lab looking for a top notch scanner . This was like the drop years ago in interneg's , from 100dollars to 20 dollars, to who does them any more.
    The only difference would be in the accelarated timeline for the scanning technology.
    If you can ship economically return, the Scanner Operator can FTP your file easily anywhere in the world.

Drum scanning in India

Don't buy the Tango, Bob. The next thing to be outsourced will be the photography, so you'll have no use for it. Of course, the scanning shops in India have special deals with the black-market printing houses in China, so eventually the local publisher will be cut out of the deal, too. ;-)

Drum scanning in India

I must admit to certain ideological qualms, but I can get pretty slutty for a five dollar PMT scan.

Drum scanning in India

And if we could co-op the shipping (everyone's trannies in one package) the economics become astounding.

Drum scanning in India

It's kind of like the Russian website designers who do all the Mamiya USA stuff (Toyo, etc.). $5 per hour. They get it right the third time - but at that price, who cares? They are doing national level corporate websites for a couple thousand dollars - nobody here can touch that.

My biggest burn was when I had an office in a "technology incubator" and start-ups got free government assistance. You guessed it - a guy started an offshore firm using our tax dollars for help.

Drum scanning in India

Dang ! Even drum scanning is being outsourced to India ? I am wondering how the job of getting a soda from the fridge while I sit glued to the TV, can be outsourced to India . Seriously. There has to be a way

Drum scanning in India

Seriously, my burning in hell later aside, can we make this happen?