Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Re: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    If you use a shorter lens, the head will be closer to the baseboard, so the light spread will be less resulting in more light per square area for the same magnification. Do I have that wrong? I'll measure this evening on the enlarger.
    Only in a smoke filled room does the distance matter.

Since many of us spend more time taking pictures than printing, how about a negative exposure analogy.

You have your 4x5 camera and 90 mm lens. You frame your naturally illuminated subject and expose in your usual manner. You change to your 300mm lens , move back so you frame the subject in the same way and expose in your usual manner. Did you need to add extra exposure because you are now so far away from the subject?

When projection printing longer lenses have some advantages:
    1) less cosine falloff at the corners = more even illumination
    2) virtual enlargement of the mixing box area (diffusion enlarger only)
    3) larger image circle, allowing larger magnification without going to a "High Magnification" specialty lens

Reviving an old thread, this will probably give you more information about taking apart a 5108 than the manual will. Just remember to lock down the head carrier tightly before removing the head. This is the right side knob on the photo. Posts 1-6 explain the process. Also, on post #5, in the photo shown below, once bolt #2 is loosened, tap the bolt to disengage it.

Attachment 133207

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Ok, I took some photos of the enlarger at the lab I use. Just want to make sure we're all talking about the same bolts. Frankly the manual could be a little better illustrated.

To remove the upper chassis, I assume you remove the 7 bolts labeled #1 in these two photos. Removing the two bolts labeled #2 which link the base focusing handwheels to the upper chassis is the one I'm having issues. Does that bolt unscrew and come out the front? It's supposed to be a friction fit.

Attachment 133207 Attachment 133208

The nut that tightens the gear wheels & chains, is that bold #3 in this photo? Do I need to slacken it to separate the two halfs and then re-tighten it? Bolt #4 just holds the timer tray and can be removed.

Attachment 133209

I'm assuming that the handwheels don't have to be removed, just the head and baseboard. Many thanks! L
    To again revive an old thread it is important to tighten bolt #3 above to prevent the chains from coming off before moving the enlarger. Same applies to a 504 and 507 enlargers