Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Re: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    So my question is, would it be all right to leave assembled and lay down in the back of my truck trapped, or does it have to be assembled? Any advice will be appreciated.
    Although it may be technically possible, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. As a bare minimum, you'd want to take off the baseboard (4 wing nuts) and the Dichroic head. When removing the head, MAKE SURE it is locked down, both the lens and head stage. Then lift the head off the carrier, and while you hold the carrier with two hands, have someone else loosen the locks and slowly raise the carrier and the focusing stage to the top of the column. Then lock both in place again. Failure to do this could result in the head becoming a projectile.

Now that you have just the column, I would still separate it. It takes 8 bolts if my memory serves me right and this thread should explain in painful detail how to do it. The problem of trying to transport the chassis in one piece is the possibility of it getting bent in the process. This would not be good. Take tools, esp Allen and an open/box wrench set. I moved mine 1000 miles one way in a mini van with no issues. Good luck! L

What Peter said. I moved mine from Chicago to Kalamazoo, 150 miles, in the back of my Dodge caravan. Only removed the head and safely stored it by itself. Unless you have a cap on your pickup I would also remove the baseboard. But don't discount what Luis says. He's smarter than me in these matters and helped me a lot when I got mine!

Terry in Kalamazoo

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    When removing the head, MAKE SURE it is locked down, both the lens and head stage. Then lift the head off the carrier, and while you hold the carrier with two hands, have someone else loosen the locks and slowly raise the carrier and the focusing stage to the top of the column. Then lock both in place again. Failure to do this could result in the head becoming a projectile.
    This is the part that I keep hearing about that scares the crap out of me. I have never seen one of these in person so don't really grasp what is being explained here. I have ordered the manual, maybe that will help. I've read through this whole thread but still don't get it? I was definitely planing to remove the base board, that doesn't seam too scary, and any other small bits. Hopefully, I will get a better understanding of removing the head, which I'm sure is a good idea.

The heads are heavy. Usually...

The head is counterbalanced by either springs or lead weight.

I don't know this enlarger. Somebody needs to step up and 'splain it all.

I know Saltzman, Calumet, FOTAR and Elwood 10X10 enlargers but not the mighty DeVere.

This is the part that I keep hearing about that scares the crap out of me. I have never seen one of these in person so don't really grasp what is being explained here. I have ordered the manual, maybe that will help. I've read through this whole thread but still don't get it? I was definitely planing to remove the base board, that doesn't seam too scary, and any other small bits. Hopefully, I will get a better understanding of removing the head, which I'm sure is a good idea.
    I can tell you that even the Devere 504 stages will blast off like a Falcon X rocket if they aren't secured when you remove the head, so imagine the tension on the 8x10 springs !

I believe Kevin at khb strongly suggested that one should use straps/ropes to secure everything when transporting Devere enlargers. Basically, DO NOT TRUST the adjustment locks by themselves. Straps are extremely secure, and it's not hyperbole to say that one could get seriously injured if one's head is in the path, esp if the neg and lens stages are set low.

Take it apart safely and there's nothing to worry about. I've moved two 504s and one 5108 so if I can do it....
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

John, it's really not that scary. The 5108 head is counterbalanced by springs. The head is not that heavy, but if you remove it without locking the stages down, the spring will take over! Not that the springs are that strong, it just that they are now unbalanced. You can easily hold the head stage with one hand and raise it when someone else unlocks and then re-locks the stages. I suggest two hands to be safe, but my recollection was that it did not take that much effort. The first page of this thread pretty well explains how to separate the column in two. Also, don't forget to take the power supply stabilizer along with the other goodies. L

I moved my 5108 from Nashville to Peoria in one piece minus the baseboard. It rode very snuggly in the back of an older Yukon xl.

Congrats on your purchase. Buy more film.

Ken

Ok so you bought the one that was in Nashville. Did you get the complete darkroom also?

I took all that was in the sale bill except the exhaust fan. Huge easel and paper cutter and several large trays.

Ken

I have hauled my 5108 through three moves, not counting the original hop three states over to buy it.

I have one problem - I don't remember how the cables were strung through the head of the mast. There are four pulleys (wheels) - and two cables, two counterweights (I know where they go) and both ends of the cables are attached (one to the bench, the other to the upper frame on the head).

The pulleys are what are throwing me off.

I'm assuming they have to wrap around or (*?*) the two spindles that raise/lower the head & bench...

Does anyone have a De Vere 5108 that has these lead counter weights - and would be so kind as to photograph how the cabling is run through the mast head and down to the front of the mast?

Thanks for the help!

By the way... I first bought the enlarger in 2011. Am setting it up for the first time, three moves, and seven years later (I was waiting to live in a house that had enough head room to allow me to stand the darn thing UP!).