Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Picking up a De Vere 5108

I'm supposed to pick up a 5108 floor model next weekend and have a few questions on disassembly for transport. I already have the owner's manual and I know to raise the head to the top of the column before removing it to avoid the catapult effect. Where I'm a little unsure is how to remove the top column from the base and also, how to remove the focusing rods and if anything needs to be tightened to make the 14 hour trip home in my minivan. If anyone can post some photos it would be great. At least I'm saving another 8x10 enlarger from scrap! Thanks, Luis

Re: Picking up a De Vere 5108

The top column just bolts to the base it's all explained well in the user manual. It's a 2 person job but quite easy. Make sure you tighten the nuts so that the gear wheels & chains don't drop, it's a fiddly and messy job if they do.

Ian

In case you weren't sure, I removed the head from the neg stage as well as that's fairly heavy by itself. For transport, I actually kept the negative stage lowered but secured it with multiple cam straps as I found it easier to transport this way. The base of the entrée enlarger was removed from the column itself and make sure you have enough height in your darkroom as there's a brace that secures the top of the column to the wall.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Ok, I took some photos of the enlarger at the lab I use. Just want to make sure we're all talking about the same bolts. Frankly the manual could be a little better illustrated.

To remove the upper chassis, I assume you remove the 7 bolts labeled #1 in these two photos. Removing the two bolts labeled #2 which link the base focusing handwheels to the upper chassis is the one I'm having issues. Does that bolt unscrew and come out the front? It's supposed to be a friction fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0193s.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	133207 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0188s.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	133208

The nut that tightens the gear wheels & chains, is that bold #3 in this photo? Do I need to slacken it to separate the two halfs and then re-tighten it? Bolt #4 just holds the timer tray and can be removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0189s.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	133209

I'm assuming that the handwheels don't have to be removed, just the head and baseboard. Many thanks! L

First remove the part that the timers etc sit on #4 in the 3rd photo, then tighten up the bolts marked #3 in the same photo they stop the gears/chains wheels dropping. Then remove #2 before removing all marked #1.

The had wheels and the frame for the enlarger bed stay in place but the wooden base itself needs to be removed, it's 4 bolts and quick and easy.

Ian

Thanks Ian! I'll post some photos once I get the beast home. Have to figure out where to put it, and if I'm going to replace my Durst SM-183 in the darkroom with the 5108. Only have room for 1 8x10 sized enlarger!

Congratulations ! If Durst is the Ferrari of enlargers then the Devere must be the Bentley !

Thanks Gudmundur. I figure if I have both, I can use the one I like best and keep the other as a spare until I enlarge my darkroom (pun intended). Do you still have your 4 Dursts? Are you planing a trip to the States anytime soon? L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Thanks Ian! I'll post some photos once I get the beast home. Have to figure out where to put it, and if I'm going to replace my Durst SM-183 in the darkroom with the 5108. Only have room for 1 8x10 sized enlarger!
    Congrats! I only have room for two 8x10 enlargers in my darkroom, but I only have 1...

Hah!

Anyway congrats on saving that one, I saved my 8x10 Saltzman from the scrap heap. I specifically made sure to leave room for a second one. Right now there will be a 4x5 there to hold its place

Really some day I hope to have a second for experimenting, or perhaps an 11x14 head. Someday, for now it's all about building this darkroom, lucky yours is already up and running

Enjoy it! Make good prints!

I need to reorganize my darkroom and try and recrute younger people to teach them darkroom. Our times are lazy and people that never have seen a nice silver print think that Silver Efftects Pro and and Epson make "awesome" prints.