Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A really great bag for lenses or ??????

A really great bag for lenses or ??????

you can order directly from orvis here .

an alternative , with a compression molded bottom, can be had here .

hey ted, in your shot there is a black divider running across the middle for the length of the bag. if one wanted to split the bag in the other direction, from top to bottom, is there a divider provided of that length? my thought is that a technikardan would fit great on one side, and three lenses one the other.

Scott,

The dividers are all movable with velcro on the ends so you can donfigure them any way you want. If ou look closely at my picture you will see where you can attach the velcro ends on the inside front, back and where the big strip ataches. In fact, now that this one is here and it is so great I am thinking about a second one for my Canham 5x7 whcih just fits with a little room for a couple of lenses or some accessories. The other bag you posted looks good too although there are fewer dividers and it is just enough smaller that neither my Canham nor my Walker would fit.

And ... while we are on the subject of bags; for years I carried my Horseman FA (before it a Wista) a couple of lenses, lightmeter and quickloads in a Haversack that I got at LL Bean's sometime in the 1960's. Nice small bag to sling over yoru shoulder and traditional waterproof English construction. Dang thing had the audacity to finally wear out two years ago after 40 years of faithful service. I searched high and low to find a replacement withou spending a fortune and finally found these http://www.leathercrafts.com/system/index.html built the same way Billingham bags are at way less money. Somewhere in an old post here or on photo.net you will see a picture of this bag filled with gear.

Back to Orvis, if you are near one of their retail stores or call them on the phone chances are they will give you an extra divider or two if you ask .. that is the way they usually are. If you want to order from a store and talk with a human who actually has the bag in hand you will see the store list on the website. The mother store is the one in Manchester, VT and the one in Roanoke is also huge. I am in the Manchester store and the nearby outlet store every few months and I will also be keeping my eyes open to see if these go on sale or any end up in the outlet store although I doubt it since it is a fairly new item.

The other day strolled through the local Wal-Mart with the eyes of Large Format photographer, and came upon the Fishing Gear section. Lots of great stuff, and affordable. (I have mixed feelings about Wal-Mart, but that's another issue).

Another place was the general Sporting Goods section. There are several bags available with sturdy design, pockets, and staps, but no inherent sections... leaving me to ask:

If I were to purchase a bag, and wanted to define my own "sections", custom for my own equipment, which materials are appropriate. ?

Does anyone know a supplier of Cordura ? I would like to design my own case, and have a seamstress friend make it.

ken...

have you looked at the pelican padded dividers ?

Beverly Hills, California

Ted I would feel a little uncomfortable myself putting (fugurtively)
    "all my eggs in one basket" like that.

I recently had the perfect case for a pair of radio slaves, unfortunately, color of case blended right in with the color of the side walk where I left it.

It's possible just to loose stuff, particulalrly if it's small. Sure would not want to be out of my entire range of Lf lenses.

At least have bag clearly marked: Reward if Found along with ample personal contact info.

Andre,

You are absolutely correct and I cannot imagine ever taking taht many lenses out in the field with me ... was just demnstrating what the case could do. could jsut as easily have been a field camera and 4 lenses. But you raise an important point.

My gear is insured, as I assune is that of all profiessionals. I carry an all risk 'Marine Policy' policy at least that is what my agent calls it. Icover all the equipment that will ever travel. These policies are not inexpensive but hey are well worth the 500-700 a year y9ou spend on them if you ever have a major loss. If you are strictly an amateur (for insurance purposes that means you doit strictly as a hobby .. important word there is strictly .. then you can get a scheduled items floater on your homeowners that will cost you a lot less. If you havce ever watched as a camera or lens bounced downs the rocks in a strong wind you will be happy you have insurance. you will be even happier if you have a good agent who smooths the claim process.

hey ted...

did you come across a bag like this one in your searches. it's called a tackle bag... i wonder if they offer the same protection as something designed to hold more expensive reels.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Orvis Safe Passage Reel and Gear Case is currently on sale. The sale price is $41.30 (regular price = $59.00). I ordered two (one in each color). In addition to lenses, it looks like a good size for some 4x10 film holders and/or some boxes of 4x5 Quick/Readyloads, or maybe a nice case for my 4x10 camera.

Kerry

I've been flyfishing with Orvis gear for years....Great stuff