Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Pricktorialism

Re: Pricktorialism

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Drew,
    Sorry that you have cancer. Lord have mercy!

I enjoy this thread and moved to TX over a year ago and even have cacti in my yard, but haven’t pointed a LF camera at them yet!

I especially like the ?yucca? picture. I like the sense of movement and the contrast/value range. I suspect that b/w is part of the key to it, in color the dried out tips would be too distracting.
    Thanks!

Hopefully I've gone from have cancer to had cancer, but it'll be another 2 years of scans etc. before I get the "cancer free" sticker. Everyone: get your colonoscopy! Get one now! (Well, maybe not while at your computer, but you know...)

Anyway, the late evening light was quite nice in color, and probably would have worked on the spiky plant (I think it's the "tree yucca" as listed on the map here: https://lbre.stanford.edu/bgm/documents/arizona-garden). The contrast was insane, and I was worried after seeing all the clear areas on the negative, but I think it scanned well, and the black parts work OK, even if they lack any detail in them. I should learn the proper names for the "beach ball cactus" and "spiky tree like thing" and "tall, thin, cactus with pretty flowers" etc.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm glad to hear that you have survived colon cancer. I believe that I have met you on a LF outing a few years back but do recall you at a print viewing at Tim's house a couple of years back. You seem to be quite young for colon cancer. When I was around your age I started to get polyps and read that 400mg daily of Vitamin D gets rid of them. So I started taking a vitamin D supplement daily (I still do) and the condition disappeared and never came back. For years I put off having a colonoscopy but finally gave in around 10 years ago with no abnormalities. So my doctor put another one off for 10 years and now prescribes the non-invasive test.

Thomas

Good shots all. Glad to see you Drew!

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you have survived colon cancer. I believe that I have met you on a LF outing a few years back but do recall you at a print viewing at Tim's house a couple of years back. You seem to be quite young for colon cancer. When I was around your age I started to get polyps and read that 400mg daily of Vitamin D gets rid of them. So I started taking a vitamin D supplement daily (I still do) and the condition disappeared and never came back. For years I put off having a colonoscopy but finally gave in around 10 years ago with no abnormalities. So my doctor put another one off for 10 years and now prescribes the non-invasive test.

Thomas
    Yes, we met at Tim's a few years ago. I was 49 and 9 months when my colon cancer made itself known in April 2017, but a huge tumor like mine (T4a for those who follow those things) would have taken 5-10 years to get to that size. No risk factors, no family history, just bad luck. I'm now taking high doses of vitamin D and calcium, as well as baby aspirin, as they've all been shown to reduce the recurrence of colon cancer. I will also get to "smile for the camera" every 3-5 years for my colonoscopies! Oh goody!

The non-invasive tests are definitely a good idea for everyone's 40th birthday. I wish I had them at 40 and 45, as one of them would have caught my cancer early enough to likely avoid chemo. Cancer was inconvenient, chemo was hell.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Actually I misspoke - it's Calcium w/Vit D supplement that I have been taking and earlier this year I switched to taking 1/2 pill (250mg) daily instead of the 500mg it now comes in. As I said when I started to get polyps I started taking the Calcium supplements and the condition disappeared. But I wasn't drinking milk which, contains 35% of the RDA of calcium, as I now do. Milk, along with the 250 mg supplement and the multivitamin bring the total up to the 100% RDA. But note this article that I just ran across:

https://www.consumerreports.org/diet...-colon-polyps/

Thomas

It's prictorialism season again! Finally getting to use my vintage Voigtlander Nokton F1.5 in Prominent mount.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It's prictorialism season again! Finally getting to use my vintage Voigtlander Nokton F1.5 in Prominent mount.
    Nice. So, original Voigtlander, not the modern stuff. I remember seeing some work on the rangefinder forum with one of those and have to say it has about the most unusual out of focus rendering I've ever seen. You've made great use of it here. It reminds me just a little of something I saw years ago (maybe by you) with a Canon 1.5. But like that lens on steroids.

Thanks. Yes, I have the 1.5 Canon, and the Jupiter 3, all sonnar types. I think the Nokton is too. It's funny, but there is a new "Vintage Line" Voigtlander lens type, but how can a modern made lens be "vintage?"

Yes, a wonderful background treatment; I suppose partly background, partly lens, but very expressive.

Thanks, I really like the early efforts to make very fast lenses for 35mm cameras in the 1940s and 1950s. This Nokton 50/1.5 I got on a Prominent exactly 2 years ago. I never shot the camera, I have way too many, and sold it and a couple less famous lenses. Then I started searching for an adapter to put it on Leicas. But I discovered that whereas most adapters cost $20, the Prominent adapters were around $230. After selling the camera, I had less than that much in the lens itself. The reason they are so expensive is they have to have the focusing helical. The Prominent camera does the focus, the lens just rides the mount. I'm a stubborn guy when it comes to prices, and decided to just watch and wait. 2 years later I got an excellent, CNC made Amedeo adapter for Leica M, for a good price. I'm enjoying this lens a lot. Stopped down it becomes very sharp. As sharp as a Sumicron easily.