Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Fresno

Re: Stuck in Fresno

Have dinner at The Elbow Room. They claim the best $20 steak sandwich on earth, and based on my first time there Friday evening, it was the best steak sandwich I've had.

The Elbow Room is very good! I know one of the owners. There are actually many good places to eat in Fresno and there's even one or two good places in Clovis!
    I've often thought of photographing taco trucks, but I get too distracted---that darned Mexican food!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

To add insult to injury with my sequestering in Fresno----the recent snowfall in the Sierra has been washed away by the heavy warm rain this past week end----reports are that the falls in Yosemite Valley are really cooking right now! Sheesh!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Yeah, some young climbers visiting the West for the first time stopped by yesterday and showed me their cell phone shots of the falls. I kinda like them running
    thinner than usual; but that also means they'll go bone dry before midsummer. Hope your family illness or whatever this is, John, resolves itself soon. Can't you
    at least sneak out to the borders of town for the last of the wildflowers or whatever before smog season? Or maybe that is already past, due to drought? I looked at Google Earth shots of my old place up the hill and could hardly believe how dry things look. Here the hills are just beginning to show dry patches; but it won't be long. We had a good soaker rain last week, but not enough to make the trails mucky. Once it gets hot, I start routinely heading over to Marin. Taco trucks? We've booked a "gourmet" one in advance for an event here at work. Those things get featured on TV shows just like fine walk-in restaurants. I've always thought if I got stuck down there in the flatlands, esp in smog season, that trucker subculture would make an interesting photo project, at least with the right kind of color film. But given the summer heat, I tend to move thru the Valley pretty fast. I just spent 2K on new brakes, shocks, tires, etc on the truck, and
    simply can't afford to replace the anemic AC pump this year. Hoping I can sneak up some weekend to get an early high altitude dayhike at least; but I won't
    get any serious vacation time till late summer. Hopefully the forest fires won't be everywhere at the same time.

Fresno, the Cleveland of the West.

Drew Wiley

If you really want a California resort paradise, book your midsummer vacation in either Barstow or Bakersfield.

Well it looks like I may have to take Amtrak to Ventura to pick up our next car. IIRC I'll need to catch a through way bus at Bakersfield to make the connection. I'll try to remember to pack sun screen! Sadly it's not going to be a LF trip

The City motto is "Well, we're not Trona."

Drew Wiley

When the original "Okie from Muskogee" reminisced about his childhood, and how they looked at Bakersfield as the promised land, I can hardly imagine how miserable the place they abandoned must have been like, Dust Bowl n' all. Everyone here is up in arms when one of refineries upriver has a significant EPA violation. Sunland Oil in Bakersfield had 27 of them one year. Some dude started his car down the road and ignited the atmosphere itself, and incinerated! Ironically, drive out of town a ways and you have the Carizzo Plain and wildlife refuge, one of the quietest most pristine places in the state (except for air quality). Just on the other side of Elkhorn ridge from that there are forests of oil wells, thousands of em. And Kern county contains some of the wildest as well as highest parts of the Sierra. But the town itself lives under yellow-green smog, kinda like pyro stain or the surface of the planet Venus (which is probably more habitable), not the brown/black smog of Fresno or LA. Welcome to our little equivalent to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Wasn't it Ted Orland's "List of photographic truths" that said "It's impossible to make a good photograph in Fresno"?
    This goes along with my statement, "I spent a week in Fresno one night".