Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Studio Flashbulbs last night: Selfish images

Re: LF Studio Flashbulbs last night: Selfish images

I like the selfie. It reminds me a lot of my first mug shot...only I looked younger way back then.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I like the selfie. It reminds me a lot of my first mug shot...only I looked younger way back then.
    First MUG shot! We have a bar here with a mug shot backdrop for 'fun'...

I'm still pissed I got fingerprinted one time, at age 16, as a requirement for USPS summer work. Old J Edgar got me...
    Tin Can

Keep in mind that you can use a flash meter with flash bulbs if the meter has a cord. Bulbs come up too slowly to trigger the meter on their own. The cord triggers the meter and bulb.

Bulbs generally take 20 milliseconds to rise; that's what the shutter speed M takes care of - it fires the flash before opening the shutter.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Keep in mind that you can use a flash meter with flash bulbs if the meter has a cord. Bulbs come up too slowly to trigger the meter on their own. The cord triggers the meter and bulb.

Bulbs generally take 20 milliseconds to rise; that's what the shutter speed M takes care of - it fires the flash before opening the shutter.

Enjoy!
    Jac, I know about M sync, but modern Copal shutters don't have it, so I compensated with slow shutter speeds, 1/30, 1/15. 1/8 to allow all the light in. I still don't know the sweet spot for Copal shutter speeds and flashbulbs.

I am going to try some corded flash bulb tests with my Sekonic L 758, i hope it can handle the 22.5 volt and up capacitor spike, or that will be an expensive lesson. I am more willing to sacrifice my D70 to the research muse. I am ordering this to use flashbulbs with D70 for testing. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AS-15-Sy...cm_rdp_product
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I am going to try some corded flash bulb tests with my Sekonic L 758, i hope it can handle the 22.5 volt and up capacitor spike, or that will be an expensive lesson. I am more willing to sacrifice my D70 to the research muse. I am ordering this to use flashbulbs with D70 for testing. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AS-15-Sy...cm_rdp_product
    Okay. Don't know what that unit is supposed to do but it has no flash circuit protection. Perhaps the Wein Safe Synch would be better. The Graflex flash would be safer. No circuit protection needed.

The cord goes from the meter to your flash gun. The camera is not used.

FWIW, Wein's slaves are cool because they aren't fooled by TTL preflash of some digital cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Okay. Don't know what that unit is supposed to do but it has no flash circuit protection. Perhaps the Wein Safe Synch would be better. The Graflex flash would be safer. No circuit protection needed.

The cord goes from the meter to your flash gun. The camera is not used.

FWIW, Wein's slaves are cool because they aren't fooled by TTL preflash of some digital cameras.
    Yes, the cord goes to meter, but the cord also carries full switching power, that is my concern for any meter, camera or shutter.

Yes, it appears i need to use this. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...FdcSgQod_3MA1w to protect a camera.

This will protect my meter. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
    Tin Can

Last night I tested this to slave fire a second flashbulb holder. http://flashzebra.com/opticalslaves/0003.shtml

It did not work for that, yet works great as a slave trigger for my old Novatrons and Normans.

Flash Zebra is a great company but they don't have Wein copies...

I have bought quite a few of their unique products. I highly recommend Flash Zebra, and I have no connection to this tiny company.
    Last edited by Tin Can; 27-Apr-2015 at 16:31. Reason: NO connection!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Last night I tested this to slave fire a second flashbulb holder. http://flashzebra.com/opticalslaves/0003.shtml
    Oi! The price is right! If you don't use pre-flash TTL, it's the way to go.

Randy it's a good idea to have a shield over your flash gun,BELIEVE ME ! I had an assignment to photograph a coral group entertaining diners in a company cafeteria just before Christmas.It was myself and two assistants and I was using a 4X5 graphic with a flashgun attached.The assistants were holding extension flashguns connected to mine with cords,spaced about 8' to 10' either side of me and we all three were loaded with number 22 bulbs( about the size of 250 watt incandescent light bulbs).Everyone was enjoying their meals and the music when I attempted the shot...There was the sound a 12 gauge shotgun might make going off inside the room and the glass envelope of my bulb was describing an arc over three or four dining tables between me and the stage with glowing coils of filament streaming out behind.Needless to say the music stopped instantly as well as food being transferred from plate to mouth. Quietly, we gathered up our equipment and slunk out.By the way the picture was great.
    Don

I got in the newspaper game too late to use those monster flashbulbs. I used Sylvania Press 25's. With a Graphlite mounted on the side rangefinder. I bought one of those flash guards as soon as they became available. With the clear side out, I used the same exposure as I had bare bulb. The first one I bought had clear on one side, and frosted diffusion on the other side. The second one I bought had blue on the other side, which I used for Ansco Super Plenachrome film packs. Super Plenachrome thought that the blue flash was sunlight, so no exposure calculations.