Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A welcome new thread

A welcome new thread

I am surprised that I am the first poster on this new stream.Many have asked for it, so now it is time to show it was really wanted and needed.
    I have four rather complete strobe systems, Tote lights, old fashioned reflectors for #1, #2 and #3 Photofloods, and several "work" Lights. Why so many systems? They have been accumulated during the 75+ years I have been practicing LF photography.
    When I do small tabletop set ups I am more likely to use one or two slide projectors than any of the above.
    Of the several books on lighting in my library William Mortensen's "Pictorial Lighting" is still my go to text.
    I guess I am saying all this to show that I am a believer in using the least expensive and least technical methods available.
    I almost forgot, I also have two folding cardboard reflectors for #1 photofloods produced many years ago by Kodak. Very handy.

Enjoy this new addition to the forum.

Jim

Re: A welcome new thread

Like Jim I too am a believer of using very simple tools..

I have a light tent- which is fantastic for very small objects . I borrow hot lights (will trade some printing for used hot lights btw) simple cloth backgrounds of different colour, as well as a 8x10 100 year old century camera with 480 mm lens , and a 4 x5 sinar set up.

I like strong directional lighting about a 3 or 4 : lighting ratio and basically set my focus and close down to f32 and bracket ... I use three holders per shot , one I develop normal BW, one set I develop (solarize neg) and third set I use 4 x5 colour film and solarize the neg during development.

The front room of my gallery is lit by a huge bank of windows and the light coming in is non directional so I can use this as my base light and then the hot lights create the mood of the image.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Eye.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	132979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Meat Bones.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	132980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baseball.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	132982

OK, in the interest of "balance" - let me say I'm mostly an electronic flash guy in the studio. I often use a 650W Arri Fresnel to focus, but try to turn that off as quickly as possible. People, in particular, don't always appreciate the intensity of that many watts staring them in the eye.

I started with White Lightning monolight units - their so-called "coffee can" style - back in the early '90s, when they were the most-affordable brand available. I've added a few 800WS, 1600WS, and 3200WS units over the years, along with softboxes and other modifiers. Certainly, there are "better" brands (more trendy?), but the White Lightnings have served me well.

BTW Jim - how old are you?? I would be really proud to say I have been practicing photography for 75plus.. you are my new hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I am surprised that I am the first poster on this new stream.Many have asked for it, so now it is time to show it was really wanted and needed.
    I have four rather complete strobe systems, Tote lights, old fashioned reflectors for #1, #2 and #3 Photofloods, and several "work" Lights. Why so many systems? They have been accumulated during the 75+ years I have been practicing LF photography.
    When I do small tabletop set ups I am more likely to use one or two slide projectors than any of the above.
    Of the several books on lighting in my library William Mortensen's "Pictorial Lighting" is still my go to text.
    I guess I am saying all this to show that I am a believer in using the least expensive and least technical methods available.
    I almost forgot, I also have two folding cardboard reflectors for #1 photofloods produced many years ago by Kodak. Very handy.

Enjoy this new addition to the forum.

Jim

My setup is based on three 300WS Interfit Stellars, and some umbrellas and softboxes and reflectors. Just recently I added one of these as a hairlight, with a nut can black-painted snoot: http://www.amazon.com/Neewer®-Strobe...dp/B0043GT9Y0/ It's crap, but it works, was silly-cheap, and it's very light, so it's good on an overhead boom.

Lately I've been using the Stellars without any reflector at all, as direct lights--they make great fill that way--some of it forward, a lot of it off the ceiling and walls. I read a very interesting chapter in an old commercial portrait book where the photographer set two lights bounced off the ceiling/wall junction at left and right, about even with the camera, then used another more mobile light as the main. It was an interesting idea, and it works! The idea has a lot in common with open sun and sky outside. The subject of fill lights and how to make them do their job without being noticeable is very interesting to me.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

In commercial location work, we bounce light off of walls and ceilings on a regular basis. It's pretty standard practice.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    BTW Jim - how old are you?? I would be really proud to say I have been practicing photography for 75plus.. you are my new hero.
    86 and still going.

Some have laughed at my simple lighting. If a person really wants to learn lighting they should begin by making portraits with a five (5) watt bare bulb. There is no need for hundreds of watts of light, no matter the source. Today's films are so fast I often wonder why people even think about buying high powered lights. I understand the reason or electronic flash since bulbs are so hard to come by, but huge amounts of light with today's very fast films don't really make sense to me.
    Good lighting has to do with quality, not quantity of light.

Five watts of incandescent yellow/red light on my already-slow color-blind xray film. . . . . I don't think my subjects can sit still that long, given that most of them are still alive and have places they need to be. :-) I was just thinking of buying one 800WS head so I could get some depth of field for a change!
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Balls! When you need soft ambience to bring up a dark interior. These are switchable (when lowered as shown) from daylight hmi to tungsten. We spent several days rigging that barn and surrounding property.
    From the final season of Glee.

I dunno why the pics aren't right side up.

Here's a clip from the episode. Make sure you've got mute on, it's an awful show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg