Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recirprocity and Bellows factors question

Re: Recirprocity and Bellows factors question

While I sat here calculating and writing a long post, Joe and Adam posted the "number line" solution. (Remember "number lines" from school, and wondering when the Hell you would ever need to do something so stupid? Guess What ? This is it, and it works perfectly)
    If you can remember this, you don't need to know or care about the How and Why, but it's because apertures follow the same math as the inverse square rule.

Just do the number line, use your focal length as a measurement, lay it on the line as if it were an aperture number, count fractional or whole aperture numbers until you reach your current extension, count the stops or fractions and voila, there is your compensation.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Re: Recirprocity and Bellows factors question

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    While I sat here calculating and writing a long post, Joe and Adam posted the "number line" solution. (Remember "number lines" from school, and wondering when the Hell you would ever need to do something so stupid? Guess What ? This is it, and it works perfectly)
    If you can remember this, you don't need to know or care about the How and Why, but it's because apertures follow the same math as the inverse square rule.

Just do the number line, use your focal length as a measurement, lay it on the line as if it were an aperture number, count fractional or whole aperture numbers until you reach your current extension, count the stops or fractions and voila, there is your compensation.
    No number lines at my school it was all memorization and tables and I was horrible at memorization.

Then I recently went back to school and they are doing that common core stuff which is even more confusing, and now some college teachers are from one or the other generation and nothing is consistent.

Either way thanks for trying to help me or the OP or anyone else.