OK.... I’m ready to come out of the cave and would like to acquire the technology that will
provide the capacity for me to do the following:
1. Scanner.... (Epson 4870..yes/no?)
- scan b&w negatives up to 7x11inch format.
- scan 120 b&w panorama negatives, then employ some kind of mojo that will enable
me to produce digital negatives to 8x20 inches suitable for contact printing.
- scan color transparency up to 4x5 format.
- enable me to produce files suitable for uploading to a website.
- capable of printing digital negatives in panorama format to 8x20 inches.
- accepts rolls of some kind of ‘arty’ paper for printing matt prints in B&W.
- can print matt color to 12x20 'arty' paper.
- can do standard B&W printing.
3. Computer ...
-how much capacity or whatever do I need to perform these photographic functions? I
am currently using an old laptop that practically sweats blood when just downloading
my email so I assume an upgrade is in order.
-will I need supplementary software?
I am indeed aware that there is a lot of information out there, however I do not have the
expertise to assess the data and I know that there are very knowledgeable people here that can
give me concise and practical answers.
Perhaps it will assist someone in advising me of what I require if I give a brief description of
what my final output will be...
1. Website... the usual nothing special
2. I produce handbound books of my platinum photographs on fine art papers and
would like to produce similar handbound books using inkjet technology. As my binding process
uses a ‘folded paper’ method I require a printer that can accept two passes of long paper to get
two images on each sheet ... both color tint and B&W
3. The usual proofing of negatives.
Thank you for your assistance.... I know these posts can be tedious... perhaps I should also
mention that we are in the rainy season here and it is still a few months to the extreme low tides
when my subject matter is returned to me..... so I have a few housebound months to wrestle
with the technology.