Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dealing with white to edge of frame

Re: Dealing with white to edge of frame

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Not having a much pure 100% white like you were concerned about a month or two ago makes this certainly less of a concern. Even my copious volumes of snow photos have texture and tone in the white.

Another option is alt-process printing for images that are suitable. It's fashionable to discard the concept of neat rectangle and make the shape of the photo whatever shape you spread the chemicals on the paper. Could be no borders, hand drawn borders, borders made of film edges on the inside and brush strokes on the outside.
    JP its still quite impressive to me at least to have that level of control. Separation of tones is key and requires in the situation you mention a level of mastery I certainly don't have yet. I would end up losing too much low value detail to get snow to look truly textured. I live in FL though lol. My problem is puffy clouds that appear almost year round, clear skies here only in the winter. From now until about December I'll have to contend with clouds in all of my skies.

If a white sky is too often problematic, I would suggest using either a polarizer or a filter when shooting. This will avoid having to flash or print down the sky tones. Then you would only have to deal with clouds - which the polarizer/filters may help bring out details.

Clouds, much like snow, also have tone and texture. Certainly vision plays a very large role here, but it sounds to me that you are primarily having issues with technique. I recommend getting a good grip on exposing and developing your film to get what you want. Also filters are your friends. Then of course there is learning to be a more adept printer—this should all keep you busy for a while...

It's not really hard, just takes time, an open mind, and concentration. Much of it can be done with either rigorous testing, or if you are wired more like me, trial and error will get you to the same place, although it may take a bit longer. Judging from previous questions you've asked you seem to be attracted to general rules. The only one I know is that the first rule states that there are no rules. Creativity rules.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

One of the advantages of developing for the highlights, I'd want some texture in this area. At least a little. I edge-burn to keep the viewer in the primary area of the image.

My concern would be with having a compendium lens shade that would enable me to keep any of that edge from reflecting off the bellows and bouncing around inside the camera.

New Orleans, LA

Would something as simple as printing the film rebate help? In a workshop with Michael and Paula, they looked at our work and commented on a variety of things and one thing they recommended to me was to get rid of the rebate except (in general) with high-key backgrounds such as Avedon. Otherwise, the image has nothing to contain it. I contact print and I happen to like having the black border on my images but I don't dismiss the advice. Perhaps a thin black line would help you. M&P did emphasize (and showed, with their work) to pay attention to the edges of the frame. Composition is supremely important and I admire you for searching for a way to make your photography better.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    ...Perhaps a thin black line would help you...
    There is a method for achieving this thin black line around the image in Way Beyond Monochrome 2nd Ed., described with illustrations, to resolve this concern when necessary. I've not tried it yet, but then I've always found a brief edge burn to work just fine. Ignoring the paper's dry-down is NOT the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    There is a method for achieving this thin black line around the image in Way Beyond Monochrome 2nd Ed., described with illustrations, to resolve this concern when necessary. I've not tried it yet, but then I've always found a brief edge burn to work just fine. Ignoring the paper's dry-down is NOT the answer.
    I've just about surrendered to fiber paper. I think for at least the next few years I will only use RC even for larger prints. Fiber kicked my butt the last 3 months.