Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d printed lens caps

3d printed lens caps

Thinking of having a bunch of odd sized front and rear lens caps 3D printed using Ninjaflex. I'd have dimples to allow friction fit (that can be shaved off as necessary).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Re: 3d printed lens caps

Sounds great.

Fantastic idea and solution.

I don't want buy a 3D printer. I do know that much...
    Tin Can

retrogrouchy

Yeah, but I'd use plain old ABS or PLA.

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post

Jeez—Are threads on this going to be full of alpha-numeric jargon like the digital process and printing threads?

I like the idea of replicating hard-to-find lens caps, and other bits, but can' we keep the discussion open enough for those of us who still use a flip open phone to understand?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

OK—rant over.

Sure: 3-D printed lens caps are a great idea. But what about other cool LF things.

I'd really like to see a light weight Grafmatic type film magazine. Even an improved MIDO type system of film sleeves and Cassette would be welcome.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Jeez—Are threads on this going to be full of alpha-numeric jargon like the digital process and printing threads?
    I may be missing something but is this not the acronym for different types plastic?

Why? I was thinking the flexibility of ninjaflex would be a benefit.

I'm not very knowledgable on this stuff. I did find someone to "print" a different item for me - good work at a very reasonable cost. He's used Ninjaflex for lenscaps before. But he can also do in ABS or PLA.

He can also do a few different colors, but we all know that G-d intended lens caps to be black.

My thinking is to size the lens cap about .5mm larger than the measured diameter, then have 3-4 1mm dimples. Shaving those dimples should allow correct fit. I don't know the tolerance of his printer, but I think well within my needs.

I also don't know the cost yet, but I'm anticipating about $3-5 each depending on lenscap size and volume printed.

I'll have my son create the 3d models. Finally getting some ROI for that tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    My thinking is to size the lens cap about .5mm larger than the measured diameter, then have 3-4 1mm dimples. Shaving those dimples should allow correct fit. I don't know the tolerance of his printer, but I think well within my needs.

I also don't know the cost yet, but I'm anticipating about $3-5 each depending on lenscap size and volume printed.

I'll have my son create the 3d models. Finally getting some ROI for that tuition.
    Make sure that the material is safe from outgassing. Or you might ruin the lens it is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    I may be missing something but is this not the acronym for different types plastic?
    Yep, ABS is short for acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, PLA is polylactic acid.

For lens caps you're better off with ABS, PLA is biodegradable so it will rot on your lens after a while
    if those filament printers have High density Polyethylene ( HDPE ) that is UV stabilized that would be a better choice.