Thread: Photographing Furniture

Photographing Furniture

I've finally assembled the Bender view camera that my wife gave me a few years back. I'm now looking for a lens and am unsure what length/brand to purchase. I am a furniture maker and am most intested in using the camera for portfolio photos. I may also be interested in using it outdoors for landscapes etc. I'm currrently leaning towards an Ektar 203mm, a Caltar/Rodenstock or Nikkor lens in the 180 or 210mm size. I'd appreciate any recommendations or suggestions. Thanks.

Photographing Furniture

The 210 is my prefered lens for furniture but...what kind of shooting space do you have for the furniture and how large is the furniture?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Photographing Furniture

I think you're probably in the area of where you'll be happy. You should also consider how much bellows draw your Bender offers, and how near you'll be able to focus; a shorter lens will allow you to work in a smaller area. Just make sure you have enough bellows to get in as close as you can foresee wanting to shoot.

Photographing Furniture

I agree with Kirk - something in the 210mm range produces a pleasing (representative) perspective of furniture on 4x5. Too much shorter, and perspective and dimensions start to become distorted due to the proximity of the camera to the subject. But, larger pieces do require some shooting room with a 210.

Photographing Furniture

Benders have a 22" bellows that has plenty of draw for a 210 (and that has been uncomfortable for my 135...). Working area is another kettle of fish.

Photographing Furniture

I agree with he advice given. Personally I would avoid, if at all possible, the wide angle lenses.
    It is going to be a primary requsite to have a very good polarizer system no matter what lens you decide upon. It would be suitable for a linear or circular type. I have found the linear type easier to use on LF.

Photographing Furniture

Thanks for your responses. I had a sense that a 210mm would be the preferrred lens. I've been offered a 180mm Sironar-N in practically unused condition for somewhere in the $300-400 range. I'm wondering if I should purchase this lens or look for another.

Photographing Furniture

Again, I think it will be determined by the size of the furniture and how big the shooting space is. If you have enough room the 210 is better because you can get back and not distort the furniture. Tell me about what and where you are going to shoot?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"