Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens-cap STUCK on old Jamin-Darlot -- advice for removal?

Re: Lens-cap STUCK on old Jamin-Darlot -- advice for removal?

There is no way you need to go to Grimes to clean the rear elements. They're just two pieces of loose glass. No coatings, nothing to disassemble, other than getting that cap off, then unscrewing the inner retainer. When you are removing them, make sure you have the separator ring between them. When you reassemble, put the two most severely curved surfaces (one convex, one concave) "nested" to each other, separated by the ring. The thinner glass is in the rear.

For cleaning, do them one at a time in a tupperware full of warm (not hot) soapy water. Rinse, and dry. Don't rub hard, or the grit will scratch the softer glass of one lens. But you can get them like new with some water.

I see there is a lip on the brass cap, and there is another at the back of the cone. You could try gently prying, with a block of wood about the size of the gap. Use a fulcrum, and you can move the cap, I bet. Just go gently, it's just seized from being on there a while.

You guys are awesome!

Steven: Now that makes perfect sense! Hadn't considered it that way -- thanks for clarifying.

Goamules: Hmmmm, might be on to something there. As I don't have a torch handy, maybe a bit of clever jimmying will do the trick!

As for cleaning: I'll decide once I get the cap off, and see what's what. Of course, I'd rather do the work myself and save some $$$.

Meanwhile, what are your thoughts on polishing? Generally I prefer preserving any patination that shows the history, but this sure would look pretty all polished and bright!

Kiev

Polishing?!?!?!
    No more comment~
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Please do not polish of that beautiful Patina. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I've never seen one on the rear. But have seen lots on the front, and I have one. They are just a friction fit. Try gently heating it up with a hair dryer. Then grab with a rubber grip pad, and try to gently turn it a little while pulling. Don't unscrew it counterclockwise! You don't want the rear element unscrewing and coming off in the brass cover, or you'll never get it out.
    Oops, wrong direction. Cool it sown and it may even fall off.

Let us know if you got it off. Have you tried the hair dryer and twisting clockwise yet? If that doesn't work right away, spray a little fine oil, like CLP Break Free (from Walmart) in the crack where the bottom of the cap is, let it sit overnight. Then try again in the morning.

Hell again, all!

Well, I finally got the cap off! In the end, it was surprisingly easy to pop-off -- just needed a little heat and a wooden spoon to tap it off.

Interestingly, the brass lans-cap appears to have the original cotton dust-liner inside-- and, of course, the cap fits perfectly over the correct end of the lens!

I would post updated pix for you to see, but rather frustratingly, this website will not allow me to post any more pix to this thread (at every attempt, the site claims that even the smallest files are over capacity).

In any case, many thanks again for your kind advice and encouragement!

Best,

Kiev

Quote Originally Posted by Kiev View Post
    Hell again, all!

Well, I finally got the cap off! In the end, it was surprisingly easy to pop-off -- just needed a little heat and a wooden spoon to tap it off.

Kiev
    Am I the only one disappointed? You could have been the first person on the forum who got a lens cap off a lens with a blow torch - and you blew it !

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    Am I the only one disappointed? You could have been the first person on the forum who got a lens cap off a lens with a blow torch - and you blew it !
    prendt: Haha! Actually, a torch probably would've singed the cotton lining inside the cap.

But you're right: the blow-torch record is yet to be made -- so, you're free to give it a shot!