Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenar Type D

Xenar Type D

just got me one of those.

I am unsure what the special quality of this lense is, so if any of you have some information (or images taken with this lens) I'd be gratefull.

The lense looks really good and the compur shutter works perfectly..

Re: Xenar Type D

The only thing I can think of is the speed of this example. The Xenar is usually an f/4.5 lens of the Tessar type. You may want to count the reflections to see if it looks different.
    I have a 150/3.5 Tessar of about the same age.
    I don't condider it to be as sharp as the 4.5 version. Faster is not always better. Anyhoo, they're pretty uncommon to find from that era.
    Try it out. It might be something special.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The Xenar Typ D is not a Tessar at all. They have been reperted to be triplets; mine, however, is a reverse Tessar where the rear cell has negative focal length.

They are not sharp when wide open, and do not really become very sharp at any aperture. Great for portraits though, and swirl better than Petzvals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    The Xenar Typ D is not a Tessar at all. They have been reperted to be triplets; mine, however, is a reverse Tessar where the rear cell has negative focal length.

They are not sharp when wide open, and do not really become very sharp at any aperture. Great for portraits though, and swirl better than Petzvals.
    sounds like I have to try it out soon!

(Gotta hate those sharp lenses...)

The Xenar, calculated by A. W. Tronnier, was made as f/2.9, f/3.5, f/4.5 and f/5.5. The f/3.5 was aviable from 35mm up to 300m. Also some special Xenars where made like the f/4.5 enlarging Xenar, the f/4.5 aero-Xenar and the f/3.5 D (documentation) Xenar.

My first LF lens (on a Century Graphic Special) was a 4.7/135 Xenar.
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    The Xenar, calculated by A. W. Tronnier, was made as f/2.9, f/3.5, f/4.5 and f/5.5. The f/3.5 was aviable from 35mm up to 300m. Also some special Xenars where made like the f/4.5 enlarging Xenar, the f/4.5 aero-Xenar and the f/3.5 D (documentation) Xenar.

I called the history department of Schneider-Kreuznach !!! the "Type D" did not mean "documentation" it means the diameter of the lens at that time... it´s the same like the today "copal 3" diameter...

I have a 1950's vintage Xenar 3.5/105 that came with my Centuy Graphic 23, it's a 'normal' 4/3 tessar. Good lens, very sharp and contrasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    There was also the f2.8 five element Xenar. also known as the S-Xenar.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    just got me one of those.

I am unsure what the special quality of this lense is, so if any of you have some information (or images taken with this lens) I'd be gratefull.

The lense looks really good and the compur shutter works perfectly..
    Looking at the serial number (if that's what the number on the shutter face is), it would appear I've recently purchased one with a similar vintage shutter. How did you find the images from it - looks like it will cover 10x8 quite nicely for some Macro. Images on GG looked just a few inches short of coverage at infinity (cannae take any photos just yet, bellows need a little repair work still - having to wait a little longer before I can afford a replacement). May get a chance to get some images on 5x4 this week if I'm allowed to. . . The rescue dog is taking her sweet time settling in, yet do do a full day without little toilet related incidents indoors though she is now atleast getting to the stage of going and sitting by the door to the garden. . .